GO!

Confused and concerned...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Blaize

Watch out I- pounce and I- WILL LICK YOU

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 7:29pm PST 
I have five dogs I want to ask about here. First is Garnet and Blaze's dad who belongs to a friend of the family. Psycho is very house destructive if left to roam loose if he has no toys to chew on. If he has toys he will not chew on anything else. His owner doesnt want him to have toys to chew on.. he says Psycho doesnt chew on ANYTHING, which is b.s. because Psycho chewed through a brand new couch that we were given, We had left him loose for twenty minutes while we were out feeding the dogs. Plus Psycho is yelled at if he barks so he is very jumpy. How can I get Psycho's owner to realize that his dog is just as guilty of chewing things up as the pups are? I cannot give the pups chew toys without worrying that Psycho will get them.

Second question: When does play become aggression? Tundra has a new play mate who is Tank's sister Belladonna. The girls get along fine and dont fight. They play very well together barking and wrestling and growling and showing teeth as well as their hackles standing on end. Recently the same person who owns Garnet's mom and dad told me that he KICKED Bella three times because "She was trying to kill the dog in the pen. She was showing teeth and snarling and barking" These two play that way all the time and never once has it gone from play to a full blown fight. When Tundra gets tired of the play she will turn and walk away. I have tried several times to tell him that they play that way all the time and that Belladonna cannot be handled roughly or punished with harshness because she is very sensitive and doesnt like harsh corrections.

Finally this brings me to the final concern.... puppy chewing. I know that Blaze has chewed up things now and then but he gets plenty of play time and exercise. I cannot buy chew toys for him and Garnet because I am afraid of their dad getting them and then his owner taking them from him and throwing them away. We are hoping to be able to move soon because Psycho's owner is constantly threatening our dogs and wants us to move them down in the farthest section of the yard from the house so that he can sleep because "they are too stupid to know when to stop barking" We dont yell and scream at the dogs when they bark we go look and say 'thank you' and 'thats enough,go to bed' which normally they will do about 97% of the time or did until he came home. Besides having to keep Blaze and Garnet in the room we sleep in all the time what can I do until we get a place where we dont have to put up with the constant screaming and them being blamed for things that their dad chews up?

Also for those of you out there who have big dogs how big is too big for the house? Tank is a 70+ pound 1 year old German Shepherd/Lab mix SDiT or Service Dog in Training. I was recently told that he was too big to be in the house and he is in no way shape or form a SDiT.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:31pm PST 
I'm sorry. I really never know how to respond. It really sounds like you're overwhelmed...again. Taking on "friend's" dogs, & training a service dog, & dogs coming for play dates that end up staying somehow. It's all so confusing.
And any time advice is offered excuses seem to be given instead of trying the advice.
Are all the dogs speutered yet?
[notify]
Theodore aka- Teddy - **CGC**

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:34pm PST 
I am very confused regarding the first 3/4 of your post. I honestly can't remember which dog is which and who belongs to whom and what dogs are in your home, etc. I feel like I need a running list to keep track confused And Psycho (seriously, they named a dog that??) is a family friend and yet they threaten your dogs? Hmmm.....

I will however respond to the last part of your post:

Too big for the house? Really? No such thing. Plenty of people keep dogs that are 200 plus (mastiffs, etc) in the home. 70 isn't even a large dog--it's medium sized. The very real possibility that he isn't a good SDIT candidate is a totally separate issue.

Edited by author Mon Jan 21, '13 8:36pm PST

[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 10:48pm PST 
Ok (bang head on wall), I thought you had Psycho and others while owner was in jail? How is he being weird with dog toys from jail? I missed something. And seriously, rotten name for a dog. I run from people who give their dogs names like that, and I certainly don't let them near my dogs.
Anyway, give your dogs chew toys and if this strange human touches them, smack his hands and in a stern voice say " LEAVE IT". It's called aversion training.

If he kicks your dogs again, spray him with the hose.

There is no such thing as too big. I've had dogs twice that big in apartments.

I'm sorry, but you are really hard to take seriously. And I'm only sort of kidding. I can't believe you would let someone kick your dog or steal their toys. This is not normal. If someone kicked my dog they would be shy a leg. If him stealing dog toys is really a concern you should tell him to seek help.
[notify]
Theodore aka- Teddy - **CGC**

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 11:07pm PST 
Jail? I must have missed something. I don't ever recall even hearing about these dogs until now. I honestly can't keep track of the rotating cast and crew of dogs in this house. And let me guess--Garnet and Blaze aren't speutered (nor are the rest of your dogs if I recall), so how long until there are new puppies in this house? You've already had at least one "oops" litter. Please consider the well-being of your dogs and a) stop taking in new ones from these so-called friends and b) consider rehoming the ones you do have.

eta: In food and nutrition, you refer to Blaze and Garnet as your cousin's dogs. Sigh.

Edited by author Mon Jan 21, '13 11:19pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 2:17am PST 
I think.... think .... that Blaze and Garnet belong to her cousin whilst their dad (Psycho ... blegh) belongs to the friend in jail. So Psycho has had puppies and her cousin secured two of them. I think.

Anyway, the rest of the post is too confusing to me, so I'll just say that although the house might not be too small, you might have taken on too much again. I can't answer whether Tank is going to be a service dog or not. If things remain out of control like this his chances probably aren't good though.

ETA: the basically naked girl in the background of Blaze's photo on his profile isn't particularly beguiling.You might want to take some new ones when you find the time. I don't think anyone needs to see that. I know I didn't.

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '13 2:24am PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 5:42am PST 
JT, I was also appalled when I saw that in the background of several of those photos. I can't imagine putting a photo with that there on a public web site. It certainly is not something I want my kids looking at!!!
However, since most of the OP's posts seem to be attention seeking, it just goes along with that, IMO.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 6:25am PST 
I get worn out just reading about this stuff. I can't imagine having to live with all the dog drama.

I suggest you learn to say no to taking in more dogs.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 9:56am PST 
thinking I am confused & concerned, as well.

Confused as to why you keep taking in dogs that you cannot take care of or defend.
Confused as to what stories we should or shouldn't believe.

Concerned that the dogs you DO have are not properly taken care of or vetted.
Concerned that there is a naked mannequin/party doll in one of your pictures.

silenced It's very hard to keep track of all the goings on without a scorecard.........
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 10:25am PST 
and why is it even a consideration that Tank might be 'too big'? I mean if he's supposedly an SDiT how can he do his job living outside????
[notify]
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2