GO!

training a deaf puppy

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Petey

If it fits into- my mouth it's a- toy

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 11:01pm PST 
We have a 7 month old puppy who is extremely hard of hearing. We've been able to house train him and teach him some minor things. we've noticed he copies his sister but we are having trouble teaching him sit, stay or come when his sister is not in the same room. Does anyone have any training advice?
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 9:18am PST 
You'll have to teach hand signals. Since he copies his sister, and assuming his sister can hear, when they are together so he can copy her, use a hand signal when giving her a command and give it to him too. Eventually he'll understand your signal for sit, stay, come etc. I have found that my dogs respond better to hand signals then vocal.

Edited by author Thu Jan 17, '13 9:22am PST

[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 5:44pm PST 
There are a few people on here that have deaf dogs. Maybe one will pop in and give advice. So, I'll bump you to the top of the thread. Good luck with him! wishes
[notify]

Isaac

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 10:55pm PST 
My dog is not deaf but he responds to hand signals as well as verbal commands for the basics like sit, stay, down, and come. I assume you could use any hand signals you wanted. My dog was trained with an upraised hand to mean sit, a down sweep of the hand to mean down, a hand held in front of his nose to mean stay, and a "come here" motion to mean come. He will respond equally well to the verbal command or the hand signal.
[notify]
Petey

If it fits into- my mouth it's a- toy

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 5:55am PST 
Thanks for the advice we are trying hand signals but it seems hard to keep his attention. Any more advice would be appreciated.
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:17am PST 
You could try holding a treat in your hand. I imagine that would catch his attention.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:46am PST 
Do you try training him with the other dogs around? If so, maybe try some private lessons with some good treats.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 9:43am PST 
perhaps a tap on the floor so he feels the vibration. I wouldn't stomp hard as it might scare him but just a little stomp. Just to get his attention. Im suggesting that because moms parents are deaf and that's how she would get their attention. But of course as a teenager, there was some stomping going on big laugh
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 1:09pm PST 
First, Charks is not deaf. However, while waiting for someone more expert to pick this up... you teach hand signals (ALL dogs speak gesture better than vocals); you get a vibrating collar so you can get your pup's attention at a distance.
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 9:20pm PST 
Charks stole my answer laugh out loud. Vibration collar. You can buy an e-collar that just has a vib setting (some e-collars have static, vib & tone settings). Tia is not deaf, although she acts like it sometimes. I got a vib collar to get her attention when she got too distracted by something else to hear what I was asking her (unfortunately, the collar stopped working after a week. I got what I paid for. Currently waiting for replacement collar). The vib is no stronger than the vib on your cell phone & there is NO POSSIBLE way to hurt your dog using the vib collar (unless you have it too tight or loose & it rubs the neck). When I hit the vib button, Tia would look at me for further instructions. The change in her was instantaneous! It's like a tap on the shoulder. You can get one on e-bay or Amazon for under $40. Tia also knows hand signals. Dogs follow body language easier than verbal cues. There is also an excellent website on training deaf dogs, but I can't find it at the moment frown. Good luck with your pup.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2