GO!

Being Picked Up

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 6:02pm PST 
Any tips on getting a dog to not be spazzy when being picked up?

Sanka won't exit the car at various times on his own anymore. He took a bit of a spill getting out one day, so now he just doesn't get out unless I pick him up and set him down on the ground. The issue is that he never really liked being picked up. Never was an issue until now.

He either just flattens himself out, backs up, or does this spazzy superdog leap of faith out of the car. None of which are all that great for me as I can just barely pick him up to begin with.

I've looked at getting steps, but storing steps in the vehicle just won't work, and most of the slimmer models are just too expensive. I do have a running board on my vehicle, but Sanka never uses it and just tumbles out the door as per his usual style.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:09pm PST 
Oh man, I hear you... All my previous dogs have been 100+ lbs, so lifting them as they got older just wasn't going to happen.

Have you considered a ramp? We built one that was hinged in the middle so I could fold it and store it in the SUV. They have them ready made, but I found they're too short - they're at too sharp an angle for an old dog. It's just 2 pieces of plywood with a piano hinge in the middle and covered with indoor/outdoor carpet.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:23pm PST 
The ruffwear webmaster made for tripods helped me. I could grab the handle before any leaps of faith could occur. Helped me lift too. Of course, JT just goes limp when I pick him up so that helps. laugh out loud
[notify]

Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:35pm PST 
Shoot - too late to edit...
You might also try a sling to help him in and out of the car. A sturdy piece of fabric with nylon web handles at each end.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 6:26am PST 
Oooo, the sling is a good idea!

I have tried using a harness, but when I lift him up by the harness, he does this weird thing where he throws his head back and ends up shifting his weight awkwardly and well...it was quite a site for the neighbors to see.laugh out loud

Ramps and such would work for home as I could store them in the garage, but I just can't keep it in my car without it getting in the way.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 10:05pm PST 
When my last dog was really really old and couldn't support her weight very well, we just took a bath towel and turned it into a sling for her. It worked pretty well. Now I won a dog sling last year at an open house, so if I need it in the future I've got it! smile
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 10:27am PST 
I think the Drs Foster and Smith catalog have handled slings for just such purposes, good luckpuppy
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 6:10pm PST 
Koby can't jump into my SUV. So, I fold down one seat in the back and let him in through the side door. He goes onto floor and up on the back seat and through the opening where I folded the one seat down. It works great. It's just like him walking up steps. smile
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:49am PST 
Well to get in the car i taught Kashmir a "feet up" command because she is so heavy. But lifting her out of the car is a struggle for me too. Especially in my moms Durango, its way to high for her to be jumping down. So picking her up is the only way and then she wiggles and twists. I like the sling idea too!
[notify]