GO!

Commands Without Speaking

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Cheveyo

I'm a Spirit- Warrior I WANT- LIFE!!!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 12:47pm PST 
Some of my dogs know that a snap of my fingers and a point to a spot beside me when we are walking and we stop for a second, means that they need to come to that spot and sit. They have learned this just by me working with the snap and a word or two at first then the snap and point with the word then phasing out the word. Its mainly Tundra,Drizzit,Cheveyo and Tank that know this right now but I am working with Hailie and Belladonna.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 1:42pm PST 
Lupi responds better to hand signals.

She knows sit, lay down, stay, come, turn and go to place without verbal cues. She also sits when I hold the leash out, retrieves things I point to, and takes a treat she's been waiting for when I nod my head. She is always watching me to figure out what I want her to do.

I actually found it harder to teach her to respond to verbal cues alone.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 2:16pm PST 
Teaching hand signals is easy. Always give your hand signal in a distinct way so the dog doesn't assume you are just scratching your nose or grabbing for something. Formal obedience trial regulations allow the handler to use a single motion of the entire arm and hand but penalize any body motion — something to think about! It's imperative to use clear, concise, and consistent commands if you want your dog to understand and comply. The hand signals that will be most useful are those that communicate the frequent requests like sit, down, stay, and come.
Whistle Signals

Whistles are commonly used to train hunting dogs or dogs who need to work at a distance from their handlers. That's because the sound travels so well and serves as the clear, concise form of communication that's necessary for this kind of work. Initially, though, the dog must be trained close to the handler to understand the association between behaviors and whistles. Using the leash, guide the dog in the desired movement following your whistle. As you move your dog into position, she should associate the movement with your verbal command, and because she has felt and seen the same movements, she should understand and follow the guidance eagerly. Generally, one toot of the whistle means sit and stay, and multiple toots mean come into the heel position of sitting by the handler's side.
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 3:33pm PST 
Guest, you ought to just put the link to what you're copying and pasting, and give credit to the source . . .

http://www.netplaces.com/dog/advanced-training/using-hand-signa ls-or-whistle-commands.htm
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 6:40pm PST 
I realized the other day that Bunny reads my lips! shock I make him sit and wait for his food and usually say "OK", then he can eat. Just for fun the other day, I just mouthed "O" and he got up and sat right back down until I mouthed " OK". shock
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:49pm PST 
Sarah follows my hand signals and body language more than she follows my verbal cues. I think the real challenge for more people is fading out the hand signal and the body language. I had a foster who at first would only lay down if I was kneeling down. I had to slowly fade the kneeling into bending over, then standing upright with a big hand gesture, and then I was able to do a smaller gesture. Crazy dog wink.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 11:50am PST 
LOL laugh out loud Good catch Augustabig laugh
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 1:16pm PST 
Nicky was trained on both verbal and hand signals, and seems to have a quicker response to the hand signals.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2