GO!

Small children and dogs unsupervised. Rant.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 9:18am PST 
We had our first Lab when the nephews were all young. She was entirely trustworthy. But I never would have left the kids alone with her. Kids do not mature as fast as dogs, and aren't ready to make the needed judgements of behavior at a young age. In that respect they are not as reliable as the dogs. A couple of the nephews were holy terrors.

I couldn't take my eyes off them for a second! Leave them alone with my gentle dog? No way.
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 10:32am PST 
A neighbor's dog was euthanized after a lawsuit because she boke a little girl's jaw. Sweetest English setter you could ask for...she was unattended with the girl who was throwing a ball from some steps. The dog ran up to her with the ball and knocked the little girl down the cement steps by accident. It was horrible.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 6:41pm PST 
Mika and Kai both absolutely adore kids,they have been raised around kids from the time we brought them home and in fact even before. They are amazinly gentle and very protective of my grandchildren and always have been the kids are now 5 and 7 the dogs now 6 and 3 and for as gentle and trustworthy as they are I still would never trust them alone in a room unsupervised with the kids. Anything could happen. The kids are less than 50 pounds each the dogs are 80 and 120+ pounds,for one of the dogs to accidentally knock one of the kids down ,or step on them,or any number of other accidents to happen would only take a second and could be tragic I love both my dogs and my grandchildren far too much to ever take that risk. It is simply not worth it and anyone who thinks it is should have their head examined. I don't care how well behaved the child or how gentle the dog,accident can and do happen all of the time it is our responsibility as adults to prevent as many as we can and minimize any damage we can from those we can not prevent. JMHO.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 6:58pm PST 
Saya loves kids and does great with even toddlers, but I'd never trust her alone. Not that I don't trust her she's great with kids.

Things happen and I don't want Saya to feel she needs to correct a kid for tugging hard on her tail or hitting her or whatever a kid might do.

I seen the rottweiler being climbed all over very patient dog even walked away, but adult told kid go see the dog again..

This video makes me go ugh! eek
http://youtu.be/netym-6ft5s

I understand dogs are taught show teeth for movies and stuff, but to me this seems more like resource guarding or dog saying back off because the dog does it when the lady's face is close to his/her. :

Here's video of kid going on top of doggie.. in case no one seen it.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151229104977745&set=vb.1 00554703355336&type=2&theater

It's sad most people think we are nuts when we warn them and stuff.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:56pm PST 
Jackson Tan, that is horrible! And you are right some parents do need a slap!! Sometimes more then that!!

I had an e-mail sent to me a while ago from a dog newsletter I receive weekly and it was about this topic and also parents ignoring warning signs of when a dog is getting stressed and has had to much and needs to be left alone. It was a you tube video some idiot posted and was proud of this video they made with a young toddler maybe 1 to 1 and a half yrs old little boy and a massive rottie. The rottie was just laying on the floor and they went and told the baby to go jump on the dog, so the baby did, and when the dog tried to get up to go away, the man pushed the dog back on the floor and continued to put the baby back on him and the baby jumped up and down on this poor dogs rib cage for quite a while before finally throwing the baby off and running away!!!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. First off the poor baby, having parents that are clearly putting their child at risk of getting bitten.....secondly laughing and watching as their dog gets jumped up and down on, clearly seeing that the dog was in pain and wanted nothing to do with this.....they laughed through the whole video.....I was and still am in shock that people are this careless! It makes me so angry and sad all at once!
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 11:36pm PST 
Angel has been around kids of all ages and has done very well with them. However, she is a bit clumsy and we are still working on her not using teeth when she licks and not nearly taking your fingers off when handing her a treat, so there's no way in heck I'd let her be alone with a child unsupervised. Honestly, aside from myself and my room mate, the only people I trust to be alone with my dog are my parents and my brother. And as much as anyone would LOVE to say that they could absolutely without a doubt trust their dog alone with kids, you can't ever be 100% sure.

I had to show my parents that they needed to either constantly supervise Tanner or have him in an area of the house when children were present. I was holding my cousin's 7 month old baby in the kitchen...she was screaming because it was her dinnertime. Tanner actually jumped up and was trying to bite her. I immediately handed the baby to my dad and removed Tanner from the situation. And he's generally a nice, sweet dog. But sometimes the situation does get to be too much and it's our responsibility to make sure it doesn't.
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 3:20am PST 
Never, ever, ever, never. Bella is AMAZING with kids, she loves them to death. She's around kids a lot and has been trained how to act with them. The only harm I could ever see her do purposefully is lick a child to death. But she knows boundaries, and knows not to get anywhere close to the baby when she is on the floor alone, and will back off when told to. She also doesn't have any sensitivity to children pulling at her or being rough with her.

Though even with all that I'd never leave her alone with any child. So many things can go wrong, and I don't want my dog euthanized because of it. Even if the dog is normally amazing with children, every dog, just like humans, has their breaking point. I don't see any point in risking the life of your dog and child for nothing.

BTW: I have the same problem here where I live. The person I live with leaves her dog (Who has attacked Bella) Alone with her baby. When asked about it she just said "Oh, she doesn't touch her, she just looks at her, I think it's because she doesn't want to hurt her" Her dog does this to Bella to, right before she's about to try and attack her. (When she's on my lap and the stupid owners just let their dog run up to me)
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 3:34am PST 
I also have to add... When I was really young, my mother owned this really sweet dachshund. Great dog, AMAZING with children, and it had been with me from birth. The dog was fine with me, crawling around, pulling on the dogs tail, the dog was great. Though without anyone knowing, the dog started to go deaf and blind. This lead the normally angel dog to attack me because she couldn't hear me coming towards her food dish and snapped out of fear when suddenly I was there playing with her food. (Which she was normally fine with) The dog was not put down (However she was separated from me) And I still have the huge scar to show from it.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 7:28am PST 
I remember a time when my great grandparents owned this BEAUTIFUL, absolute sweetheart of an Irish Setter named Rusty, and they used to let us babies/toddlers crawl all over her. I can still remember using her as a pillow while sucking on a bottle as a toddler. And while I PRAISE that wonderful dog for her tolerance, I can't help but be astonished by my great grandparents for allowing it. Not to mention that they once had a Golden Retriever named Buddy, and he was GREAT with kids. I was playing ball with him once and he got overly excited, tried to grab the ball out of my hand, and accidentally sunk a tooth into the palm of my hand. NOT his fault by any means, nor mine. It was just an accident. But my grandma sent him away immediately.

My little cousin is eight years old, and I can't trust him with animals as far as I can throw him. His mother raised him into a MEAN little boy, who not only abuses his mother, but would with animals too. I've seen him try to LAY his weight across my mothers Rottweiler and given him trouble. I've seen him shove my dog with his foot, and given him trouble for that. And I'm NOT nice about it either. He REALLY watches his behavior around me because he knows that unlike my aunt, I'll follow through with discipline.

Charlie is INCREDIBLY tolerant and patient with children and even likes to play with them at times, depending on the child. There was one time at a friends house where he was playing fetch with a stuffed animal, with her five year old. And her five year old is very, very smart and very well behaved. Treats dogs REALLY well too. But I noticed he was starting to get to be too much for Charlie and Charlie began looking away, yawning, licking his lips and came and sat with me, and that's when I told the little boy, "See the way he's yawning, looking away from you and licking his lips? That's cause he's done playing and he's getting a little upset because he can't tell you he doesn't want to anymore. If you give him a break for a little while, I'm sure he'd be happy to play with you again later." and he complied, sat with me, gave Charlie a gentle pet and got to harassing me and his mom instead. smile

It PAYS to know a dogs body language..
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 10:27am PST 
I know this is a little OT but I felt this was the best place to share this terrifying situation.

Yesterday on my way to catch the bus, I witness a child no more than 12 years old (maybe younger, I'm pretty bad with ages) walking what looked like 2 large Brittany Spaniels that together likely outweighed him.

He was walking them on long flexi leads (both fully extended), on the sidewalk of one of the busiest streets in the city eek
I just had visions of one of these dogs deciding to step onto the curb.

Gave me chills.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4