GO!

Dog Park Pet Peeves

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 8 of 8: Viewing entries 71 to 76)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 12:59pm PST 
When I go to the dog park I'm very animated with the dogs.. I chase Nare, rile him up, then work some obedience and stuff. It usually has people asking about how we train, his diet, etc. I like talking, as long as we're moving and the dogs are happy.

I don't really have any Pet Peeves-- I'm probably the person that gives people them! Nare wears his collar, my pockets are STUFFED with treats, I take balls and tug toys, and sometimes I have him on a leash / long line.

Well, I don't like people on their phones though. Someone took their laptop once and would push their dog away from them when he got too close to their precious technology.

Our dog park is 40 acres. But is a 40 minute drive one way.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 6:12am PST 
I am far too paranoid about my dogs escaping to let them go anywhere without their collar and tags. Yes, they are all chipped, but people are sometimes surprisingly ignorant about that possibility, that getting the chips scanned is free, and there are a multitude of places to get it done. Yes, the park is fenced, but I have huskies and a husky mix. Our last visit, Teeko started digging at the fenceline and I had to call him away from it. Had I been distracted trying to open a poop bag (seriously, can they make them any more difficult to get open???), maybe he could have gotten out. Unlikely, because I do watch them and the park is just small enough there's few places they can be out of my line of sight. But there's always that chance. But my dogs enjoy chasing more than wrestling other dogs at the park. Huskies gotta run. They love it!
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 10:18am PST 
It seems like around here people think that they are entitled to disobey the dog park rules. The rules are:
No children or babies under the age of three (3).
No eating "people food" in the dog park.
No grooming dogs in the dog park.
No feeding dogs in the dog park.
You are not permitted to feed, train, hold, groom, play with or pet another person's dog without their permission.
No treats in the dog park. You are permitted to bring a SMALL amount of treats.
No toys in the dog park. Please use the tennis balls provided.
All dogs must be spayed/neutered.
Limit of three (3) dogs per owner.
No females in heat.
Your dog must be wearing a collar or harness with visible identification.
All dogs must be vaccinated for the following:
Rabies
Leptospirosis
Kennel Cough/Borderella
Influenza
Parvovirus
Distemper
For safety reasons, we ask that you do not bring puppies under four (4) months of age. Owners must be prepared to show proof of vaccinations.
Owners must be within thirty (30) of their dog(s) at all times.
No aggresive dogs in the dog park. All dogs must have been socalized to other dogs and people prior to park use. At the first sign of aggresive behavior (growling, stiff posture, rough play, fights) remove your dog immediately.
Please do not let your dog bark, jump or lick other people!
Please pick up dog poop using the provided bags. Also, only BIODEGRADABLE bags in the compost bin!
All dogs must be deformed against:
Tapeworms
Ringworms
Roundworms
Hookworms
Whipworms
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 1:34pm PST 
It's sad, at our dog park about six rules are posted but nothing is enforced. The only time everyone shows compliance is when the sheriffs officers show up to stop a serious fight. We never go to the large side...too many bone brains trying to "socialize" some truly scary dogs.

Fortunately there are two runs. The big dog side seems to always be a free for all. The small dog side is usually reserved for small mild mannered dogs and puppies, some big dogs are welcome as long as they're easygoing with small pups. If the big dog side was our only choice we wouldn't go at all.
[notify]
Lexi

Get off my lawn!

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 3:29pm PST 
The peeves that are most common at my dog park are:
1. Humpers and the owners who ignore the behavior rather than correct it.

2. Overly-energetic dogs bouncing all over a dog obviously not appreciating the attention and the owner not paying any attention to what their dog is doing.

3. Not picking up after your dog! Be courteous, most parks even provide the poop bags & trash cans!

4. Treats at a public dog park. Your dog might be good around others when food is involved, but there may be food-aggressive dogs nearby and that's asking for trouble. Keep the treats in the car for post-park awards.

5. Expecting every other dog to not approach you or your dog. Yes, this happens. Someone will come in with their dog, keep them on a leash, and walk the trail then pitch a fit whenever an off-lead dog wanders over to say hello. If you want an uninterrupted stroll with your dog, go to a local walking path, not the off-leash dog park. They're there to be dogs.

6. Toy-aggressive dogs + bringing their toys to the park. General rule is bring toys only if your dog is willing to share, and don't bring anything you aren't willing to leave without. Sometimes, toys get destroyed, stolen by another dog, misplaced, etc. Leave your valuable choices at home.

7. Unaltered dogs. Your male dog may be well behaved, but add an unaltered female or another unaltered male, and tension rises.

8. Flea protection. No under-aged dogs that haven't even had their booster rounds. No sickly dogs. No aggressive dogs. Etc. Seems common sense but people expose their own dogs, plus others to many things due to pure neglect of the basics.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 8:10pm PST 
Something that wouldn't be posted but really needs to be understood is holding dogs in ones arms. People will come in carrying dogs or pick them up for whatever reason and the other dogs will go bananas, even small dogs...nevermind people holding babies on the large dog sideshockshockshock

Those people have the right to hold their dogs and children...but too many seem oblivious to the reaction of the dogs leaping at their feet
[notify]
  (Page 8 of 8: Viewing entries 71 to 76)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8