GO!

Dog Park Pet Peeves

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 7 of 8: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Stella

Waiting for- Treats

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:24pm PST 
I second what Scruffy said on taking treats to the dog park. Last Saturday I had some treats in a container in my pocket but I guess this dog could smell them anyway, maybe because I had handled them recently.

The (off-leash and untrained) dog jumped up and bit my nose, and the owner was rude to me about it. He refused to give me his information. So, yeah, dog treats, bad idea.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:11am PST 
Zombie thread, but I'm the OP so :-P laugh out loud

Our dog park is a pretty good one in terms of the people and dogs that frequent the same times I do. I avoid crowds on weekends.

BUT there always has to be the exception and today was the day.

One adult. Three small children. Three small dogs. Large dog side of the park. And she topped it off bringing in a tricyle and two scooters for the kids.

I was really proud of my dogs today. No incidents. But there were several other dogs there besides us. This could easily have been a disaster!

Sometimes you wish the gene pool had been extinguished before reproducing, know what I mean?
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:32am PST 
Haven't read all the posts, but have been trying the local dog park as a one on one treat - I take one of my four at a time for some individual attention and hopefully, fun.

I am surprised at how standoffish some of the dog owners are. They don't seem to be there so their dogs can have a social experience, but only to let them off leash while they text or chat among themselves.

Most recently a young and playful dog was there with a young woman, who plainly did not want her dog around Savannah, who is huge, but very friendly. I could understand it once or twice...or if their dog was shy - like my Dubs. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder...if they want to experience the dog park, why would they be so aloof to other users?
[notify]

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:52am PST 
I admit that I am one of those "stand-offish" owners at the dog park.
However, my local park is a little different in terms of layout. It is a hiking park with 2 distinct areas for "meet-ups"
When I go to the park it's to get exercise for my dogs and myself. I'm usually on a pretty tight schedule and my dogs don't tend to "play" like most others. They sniff and walk on.

Now in the case of your standard fenced in lot, I don't understand why one would bother taking their dogs there if they had no interest in the dog interacting with others shrug
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 12:01pm PST 
Yes, what we have is very much a fenced square area.

I wish we did have an arrangement with trails...
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 12:11pm PST 
I'm pretty standoffish with people at the dog park, mostly because Jasper wears his shock collar and people LOVE to give me grief about it...so I just don't even let the conversation start. I DO keep a close eye on him, but I generally have my kindle open in front of me (even if it's turned off) to keep other people from talking to me.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 12:23pm PST 
Well, I know what you mean. But I wasn't so much talking about human socializing as dog socializing.

If you bring your dog, it seems like you would want the dogs to have some face time with other dogs...as long as they were friendly. This one woman, as soon as her dog would approach Savvy she would call it away, and try to distract it by throwing toys.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 9:12am PST 
If someone has an uncontrollable social butterfly and is working with the dog to play/approach other dogs only when given permission, I can see going to a dog park and trying to draw your dog away from other dogs. But at some point, let them play!
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 9:14am PST 
People leave their dogs' collars on. What if that causes an accident when another dog gets stuck in it? I've heard hearsay of such happening but I've no personal experience. Last time at a dog park my dog was the only one 'naked'. A husky owner removed his dog's head collar after I said that looks dangerous with those dangling straps, what if another dog tangles in it. I usually donot nag about collars (then I should do it all the time) but the head collar on a play wrestling dog looked risky.

But my favourite pet peeve is that our dog parks are so small and bleak. I would prefer a long trail where it would be totally legal to have a dog off-leash without nagging old ladies and hysterical fathers. (Or be closer to the middle-europeans and be looser with leash laws, now people run their dogs off-leash whenever there is no one watching.) Even if that would mean one or two trails and a couple of larger fenced areas per town instead of 20 dog parks. I go to a park only to let my dog play with others. But otherwise this place is almost a paradise for a dog-owner.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 12:40pm PST 
With respect to collars, prongs, chokes, and haltis all make me a little nervous. Especially since we have the hiking trails, it's always a big "what if" when these dogs run alongside the path in the woods.

I've also seen a few times where these people "invert" the prongs so they stick out....If you're that scared of your dog getting grabbed by the neck, maybe a dog park isn't the best place shrug
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 8: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8