GO!

Dog Park Pet Peeves

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 6 of 8: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 2:24pm PST 
I still would not bring treats into the dog park. A woman told me once she had treats in a bag in her pocket and a dog bit her trying to get the treats out of her pocket.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 5:33pm PST 
A dog poorly trained/aggressive enough to bite someone for a treat, in a bag, in a pocket, doesn't really belong at a dog park, does it?

I know, technically, dog treats aren't either. But it's really my best option for off-leash recall training. I don't have dog-owning friends to do playdates with and have nowhere else to go to work where there are canine distractions, and they can't escape (easily, that is - given time, I'm sure they could Houdini out of the dog park fence).

I won't generally be pulling out the treats in front of other dogs. Most of our time is just letting them run and play, with a handful of other dogs, because I take them at offpeak times. But if I have their attention, call them over, and they come, they get rewarded. Sometimes praise, sometimes treats.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:32pm PST 
There are loads of dogs who don't belong at the dog park but people still bring them. shrug
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 5:48am PST 
I guess if you are the only one in the dog park, go for it if it helps with the recall training. But remember....the rule is there for a reason and you are choosing to ignore the rule. shrug The reason is it can cause fights. Even well behaved, well trained dogs can fight over food.

If I see it in the dog park, I remind the person that the rules prohibit treats or food. There are monitors there too and I have seen them go up to folks to tell them they can't do "treat" training in the park.
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 9:10am PST 
According to some people, my dogs don't belong in a dog park because they're not 100% perfect on recall training.

Oh well... I'm trying, but it's not easy with the Nordic breeds like huskies.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 10:03am PST 
now see...that would be a peeve of mine big laugh 100% recall before you go to the park? I certainly don't have 100% recall.

Well unless you have a treat and then my recall is about 99 % wink but since I can't bring treats to the dog park, I'm out of luck big laugh

Edited by author Wed Jan 9, '13 10:04am PST

[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 10:43am PST 
Ugh, I once brought a dog with IBD to the dog park and some idiot gave him a treat. Lovely night that night. Explosive diarrhea is my favorite.
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 11:41am PST 
I wouldn't give anyone's dog a treat without asking first. At least I have that much going for me.laugh out loud
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 12:32pm PST 
100% recall before going to a fenced in dog park? We started going to the dog park with little to no recall training. Guess we shouldn't have been going in the first place. Oh, well. laugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Jan 10, '13 12:48pm PST

[notify]
Ace

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 6:28pm PST 
Tried a different time at the dog park today, taking my daughter along so we had two sets of eyes on the dogs, in case it was more crowded.

Nope. On the big dog side, never more than 3 other dogs there.

So, this is working out well for the dogs, especially Ace. Kale is more energetic in the morning, so I think that's a better time for him to have fun.
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 8: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8