GO!

Dog Park Pet Peeves

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 5 of 8: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 5:35pm PST 
I think kids are attracted to our husky as much as they are to small fluffy and cute, although I haven't had the displeasure of running across any unsupervised children at the dog park so far. In the neighborhood and at Petco, kids that aren't scared want to pet "the wolf" laugh out loud It's cute because Kale is so mellow. Would be less so if he didn't care for children, but he's a good boy.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 9:16pm PST 
The malamute I used to know was like Kale, so mellow. He got to the point where he would stop and bare his belly to kids on the street. Too funny.
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 6:40am PST 
Kale is why stories of aggressive huskies always surprise me. I think he's more typical of the breed though. My daughter was very fortunate though to have adopted a very well-trained and socialized dog though, from the pound, no less. (How his prior owners gave him up is a mystery to this day. They obviously cared enough about him to take the time to make him such a well-behaved boy. Except for off-leash recall.)

But, off topic.

I spent more time chucking a ball for another dog yesterday since my own weren't all that interested in bringing it back. Which was fine by me. Everyone was having a good time.
[notify]

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 7:19am PST 
I love when people throw the ball for my dogs, saves me the effort big laugh Plus it helps Rigby see that strangers aren't all evil.

I wanted to make a note that I didn't mean to try and turn you off dog parks, I love my local one. I just have.....a lot of things I dislike in general silenced laugh out loud
My biggest issue is that it's a 4.5km walk away so by the time I get home my legs are KILLING me!

Glad you had a good time!
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:35am PST 
Yes, hope I didn't come across too negatively; but you were asking about pet-peeves!

There are tons of things I love about dog parks also. And there is such a wide variety of different off-leash places. Some are awesome, like this small-dog section of a park in Montana that had a little agility course! And some are not-so-great, like this park I took Lupi to in my city where I got such a weird vibe. It was all guys with their macho-looking big dogs, posturing at eachother. Maybe I interrupted some strange meet-up.

The point is, you just have to find what works for you and your dog. Most of our dog park adventures have been really fun. And if you feel like things could turn sour, just leave.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:55am PST 
You know two things that would be terrific in a dream dog park? One of those tennis ball pitching machines with variable speed. I know a bunch of dogs who would never want to leave...heeheehee
And I'd like to see them invent a remote fake squirrel on something like a track on top of the fence. Then if you pushed the button the fake squirrel would race a few feet out of reach, for dogs who were squirrel crazy they could have a good run trying to chase it.laugh out loud
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 9:51am PST 
It's all good information, good or bad. I don't want to be "that" owner everyone is annoyed with, so keep the peeves coming laugh out loud

I admit, I didn't read the sign posted at the park when I first went there, but it does say no food, human or dog. But there's a picnic table within the dog park area. Isn't that kind of like a non-smoking room with an ashtray (Seriously, I've seen that - the ashtray had the no-smoking red circle on it hail )

I'm still bringing treats because I go on off hours and it helps with recall training. We had rain this morning, so I went as soon as it stopped, and had the park to myself until one other dog from yesterday showed up.

I may go later in the day tomorrow, when more dogs may be there, but with my daughter so we each can keep an eye on a dog.

I've been told weekends aren't so good there, so it's unlikely I'll go then.
[notify]
Kale

Good Boy

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 9:52am PST 
I love the squirrel idea laugh out loud
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 10:05am PST 
I didn't read all the posts, but how about treats? I have a beagle who is very food oriented/motivated. Treats/food can start fights and I understand folks want to do training in the dog park with their dog, but please no treats. My dog will be playing and once she sees someone with a treat, she runs off and follows that person everywhere until all the treats are gone or they have left confused
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 12:37pm PST 
Like I said, I do bring treats, but I wouldn't bring them out if there were tons of dogs around. And I keep them in a ziploc, so hopefully I don't smell too delicious.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 8: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8