GO!

Dog Park Pet Peeves

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 8: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:24am PST 
I agree about food being an unwise choice for the dog park (like white clothes or flip-flops)

But it baffles me that people don't train their dogs not to jump all over strangers to steal food from them!

I've seen people walking while eating, and they get this fan club of drooling dogs, nosing and pawing them, while the owners think their dog just can't possibly help being so rude with food around.

Do people allow their dogs to jump all over guests in their home while they're eating? I would be mortified if my dog did this!
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 9:07am PST 
-When people micromanage their dogs at the dog park.
-When people tell their dogs to "go play" then freak out when their dog or an other dog wants to wrestle, they are dogs they wrestle, they don't set up a game of kick ball!
-When people bring food into the dog park.
-When people have no control over their dog.
-When people don't watch their dog.
-When people don't clean up after their dog.
-When people allow their dog to obsessively hump or bully other dogs.
-When people bring dogs with known issues to the park, like dog aggression.

Edited by author Sun Jan 6, '13 9:10am PST

[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 11:00am PST 
Someone had the bright idea of putting in a trail around the fenced dog park that's like 10 feet away from the fence. So if anyone goes jogging or biking by, it's chaos.

I try to go on off-hours, but the worst I've had happen is this woman with no control over her 3 kids walk the trail next to the dog park. The kids were running around screaming next to the fence and sticking their fingers through and she didn't say a damn thing about it. I flat out told her that she shouldn't let them do that or they're going to lose some fingers because not all dogs like kids, including mine. This isn't a frickin petting zoo, people.
[notify]

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 11:46am PST 
So apparently I have a lot of dog park peeves silenced

Nicky reminded me of something else I'm not a fan of. When people bring their children and let them run amok with the dogs, then proceed to get upset when the kid gets knocked over.
Now I don't mind children being there when they're well behaved and stay close.
But when they're running around screaming, and waving sticks or toys around....shrug I just don't get the thought process of the parents. There are plenty of parks for children around, but few DOG parks.

Most of the things that annoy me are unjustified when it comes to my own dogs. Children, food, cyclists, joggers etc. aren't personally affecting me. But I'd hate to see a park lost due to the actions of other people and their dogs.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 1:29pm PST 
I'm not sure I'd ever take Moose to a fenced in dog park. From these stories and others I've heard from neighbors and friends, I'm not a fan of the fenced in dog parks. Lots of lazy or absent minded people and poorly behaved dogs seem to be an issue. I understand not all dog parks are like this, but these stories would scare me away.

Although this isn't a fenced in park, there's an open space off leash area near (10 minutes) where I live and so many people love it. Lots and lots of dogs and lots and lots of clueless owners. I've heard one too many stories of dog attacks happening there and unfortunately of a Shih being killed there and because of that I avoid this place like the plague.
But, what I've found, when I took Mikey there 3 or 4 times to work on his stuff early on, is this is where people think their dog, who might have issues, will be ok because it's 5 acres of open space and they don't have to interact with dogs if they don't want to. Or it's the dog who only gets out once in a while and this place is the once in a while place and it's too much for the dog. And way too many men who seem to be making up for a deficiency by bringing their bad *** dog there. Saw way too much of that in my handful of trips.
A guy who was at the beach I take Moose to went to the open space park a few months back and had just gotten out of his car and stepped onto the trail with his super sweet dog when a dog came out of no where and attacked his 10 month old dog. And this guys parents dog got attacked there too months previous to that.

So, instead of convenience, I drive a half hour to the off leash beach across the bay and I've only seen 4 or 5 issues pop up and they were dealt with fast.

Most everyone has treats in their pockets at this beach (most people are either doing recall reinforcement work or just rewarding listening) and if someone gets swarmed, like I did today, you can't get pissed. We all understand the consequences of putting treats in our pockets. And if your dog is begging at a pocket, I've not seen anyone just hand out a treat to your dog without asking you if it's ok.

This is why I don't think I'll ever take Moose to a fenced in dog park. Or the other more convenient one I mentioned. I'm spoiled.
Also, the time that I go there, weekend mornings, seem to be serious dog people time.

Dog parks scare me.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 4:10pm PST 
I appreciate the feedback.

What kind of special idiot rides a bike THROUGH a dog park?

I do have to say, if someone (like me) is trying to train for recall, have some patience. Neither of my dogs like to come when called cry I'm there with treats for them because I'm trying to get them better at it. That said, neither of them is a bully or a humper. I watch them, but they run a lot faster than I do.

And I have no intention of ever going at a peak time.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 5:09pm PST 
One of the off-leash areas we enjoy has a bike path running through it. There's green space on either side, but my dog likes sticking to the pavement. So I had to teach her to go off to the side when bikes pass.
My pet peeve with cyclists is when they don't let you know they're coming. Now THAT'S idiotic with loose dogs running around!
It's amazing though, what dogs can learn when they need to. Lupi started off wanting to chase bikes (I kept her on-leash at first), and now is totally fine off-leash with them, and actually sits on the grass until they pass.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 5:12pm PST 
I just want to say that people should NOT be off put to a dog park simply because of the responses here on dogster.

If you asked what your pet peeves were when walking your dog, you'd get a host of responses of bad encounters, but that doesn't stop you from walking your own dog. Deciding whether or not to attend a dog park is multifaceted, and keep in mind that people aren't going to post daily about their regular, everything-went-fine trip to the dog park, so reference points to dog parks here are skewed.

Okay, someone brought up people eating in the dog park. I once went in and found what looked like a large family had eaten McDonalds in the dog park and decided that all their trash should just be tossed to the ground. Never mind the MULTIPLE garbage pins around the lot.naughty

As for recall, I really don't worry about it. Sanka doesn't have much of any recall, and on top of that, he's very hard of hearing. I often find myself ready to leave only to have Sanka clear on the other side of the park. I just have to wait until he either spots me leaving or just makes his way around.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 5:16pm PST 
Oh the kids, that reminds me.

This one guy asked if he could let his kids in the dog park so they could see the dogs. Since he asked nicely and the dogs were fine with it, we let him do it. The problem?

The kids didn't have shoes on! GROSS! Pee, poo, slobber, mud, god knows what.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 5:37pm PST 
Very true Sanka! I have FAR more good experiences at the dog park than bad ones!

Speaking of kids- this lady had her really little kid in the park with her (kids aren't allowed unless they're taller than 4ft). Anyhow, the little girl was more of a baby than a kid, less than 18months... and she was BAREFOOT!! GROSS!! She was playing in the sand and mulch... just icky...
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 8: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8