GO!

Sarah hates...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 8:57pm PST 
Demon- we did the nosework through C-WAGS. I was incredibly stressed out- first trial, my car wouldn't start, so I was late... We did get two Q's on level one though smile. Halfway there! The next trial is in February so hopefully we can get our Level One Scent Detective Title then big grin. I think it was mostly frustration with my instructor and not with the task at hand!

I am off to watch those videos. Sarah will lay down when she wants me to throw the ball or toy, but she doesn't relax in the down. I can tell she's not comfortable.
[notify]
ARCH Demon RL1, RL2, RL3, RLV

Intimidation- seldom- facilitates- learning

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 3:38am PST 
Wow, congratulations!

Have you tried doing the protocols for relaxation with her?
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 8:54am PST 
Thanks Demon!

I will have to try to take a video of her. I also need to teach her "finish" by next week!

Last night we practiced the downs, and she will do it but her tail is thumping hard the whole time and she wants to get up and go! It doesn't seem so much like she is nervous or afraid, more that she just doesn't want to be still. She also still tries to jump up and grab the treats from me, even though she knows leave it very well.... Crazy dog!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 8:59am PST 
How about when she hits position, you plop down a fistful of food between her front paws and straight up quit. Food between the paws helps her hold the down while eating.

Then start adding duration before the click.

Left or right finishes? They are not too hard to teach. I teach my students using a lure but I personally prefer perchwork.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:37am PST 
Right finish, the one where's they go behind you. She knows left finish, and she knows to "line up" on the right side. She is not clicker trained. My first class used the clicker but the trainer wants great, the other classes have had great trainers but no clicker...

I tried some luring, but she is a little dog and I am a big person, hard for me to pass the treat where she knows where it is. Will have to try more.

In C-WAGS is there a limit to how big the circles can be on turns? I know pivots have to be tight but I can't see anything about how small turns have to be, just that you have to go in the right direction...
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:37am PST 
Right finish, the one where's they go behind you. She knows left finish, and she knows to "line up" on the right side. She is not clicker trained. My first class used the clicker but the trainer wants great, the other classes have had great trainers but no clicker...

I tried some luring, but she is a little dog and I am a big person, hard for me to pass the treat where she knows where it is. Will have to try more.

In C-WAGS is there a limit to how big the circles can be on turns? I know pivots have to be tight but I can't see anything about how small turns have to be, just that you have to go in the right direction...
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:42am PST 
Usually they like 360's no bigger than a hoola hoop.

Have you tried using 2 treats for a right finish? One in the right hand to bring her behind your back and the other in the left to lure her into heel position? For small dogs I also tend to show the treat than toss it around behind my back (holding it low) so it ends in back of me on the left, then use a treat in my left to get the dog in heel.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:27am PST 
We are doing better today. I used just kibble, no fancy treats. I think the fancy treats get her over excited. I also pulled out the clicker. Do I click when she starts the movement to finish or when she is in the sit at the end?

Also- apologies for the double posting! When I post from the iPad, it double posts...

Edited by author Thu Jan 3, '13 10:35am PST

[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:35am PST 
I would click when she hits position. Remember, sometimes you do a right forward and sometimes a right finish. In C-Wags, the direction (right or left) can be a separate cue from the sit at the end of a finish. So sit would be additional and probably loosely chained to the finish (as a cue to start walking would be lossley chained to the forward).
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 11:30am PST 
I guess I will have to stop asking her to sit at the end of the finish! I am totally going into the competition blind!!eek

Here's the video of what I have been doing. I am sorry I'm not a videographer! I cut off Sarah's head a lot and you can't see my GIANT hand movements! I had to cut off the end because the recorder fell over... oops! You will see a point where she is not working, my other dog was barking at the neighbor's dog. I don't know how to make the embedded video, sorry... link will have to do!

Sarah
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4