GO!

Dogs & Hunting

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 65)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 3:37am PST 
if a breed is no longer used what it was ment to do, should the breed fall by the "wayside"

ummm how meny Doxie owners send them in tunnels after badgers. how meny poodle owners hunt with them. the reason for that odd hair cut was to protect joints from cold water.

it seems to me, the ones still being used what they were breed for are the breeds still living in sub standard care.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 11:36am PST 
I don't wholly agree with that Dilly. A lot of hunting dogs in the south are kept in much better conditions than they were. The sled dogs in VT are generally kept in good conditions. We have a great organization here that donates fences to people who have chained dogs -- these dogs are not generally working dogs, btw.
[notify]
Bon Temps

Super hard robot- puma dog

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 12:55pm PST 
"A lot of hunting dogs in the south are kept in much better conditions than they were."

Absolutely agree with this. At least mine and my friends are....smile
[notify]

Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 2:36pm PST 
we have a few race tracks around us, and the poor greyhounds are heartbreaking.
not much diffrent then puppy mills, loaded in cages, stacked on each other in trucks or vans
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 3:51pm PST 
Standards have to increase. Responsible breeders need to put more pressure on the BYBs, working dog folk (hunting, sledding, etc.) need to put more pressure on their own. The Iditarod is coming under more scrutiny, due to some keeping and competing practices becoming more public. Fox hunting got banned in England, where tradition is everything and there is a royal affiliation. Didn't stop it from happening, though.

That's something I think gets ignored at one's peril, just in terms of down the line. Cultures change....it is part of the human march....and in my lifetime the value raising of dogs (meaning special family member) and wildlife issues alike have grown more than I certainly would have imagined.

Plenty of dogs, re the south, continue to suffer. Average dog lover on the street....that's what they think. Rescue? Don't get me started....that's what they know. I know if I were a breeder in the dog fancy, I'd be going against the status quo and pushing for breeder licensing and anti chronic containment laws....would rather do what I can to make life hard for the millers and protect my own hobby for the future at the same time. Hunters I think of much the same. I see a lot of behaviors/tolerances that may be ok for now, but given time, it's going to come back to haunt them. In the end, in terms of humane law of the future, you're either with them (those who do it wrong) or against them.

I think of the racehorse industry. The humane movement leaves them pretty much alone....give or take...because that industry can outpace the growing culture. They have that sense. Allowing your racehorses to end up on a slaughter truck, that is something the industry has addressed more and more in the last twenty years. In NY, it is to the point where lacking discretion in this regard can lose your owner's license. That's progress, part because people truly do care, but also part because they are protecting their industry as the climate changes. Same thing with race day medications on racehorses. They are starting to be phased out. A lot of people flipping out about that, but industry leaders know they need to change it, or they are only prone-ing themselves towards movements against them that can take that choice away, by people who care a lot less of the breeding and racing of horses than they do.

Edited by author Sat Jan 5, '13 4:03pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 65)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7