GO!

Dogs & Hunting

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 7: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 12:37pm PST 
Dylan - laugh out loud laugh out loud laugh out loud big laugh applause

See??!

If people only knew!!!!!!!!!

Mush.

Piles.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 1:36pm PST 
Where I live the deer are so heavily populated it's not uncommon to see three or four dead deer on the side of the road on my 20 minute drive to work on the highway. I fully support deer hunting because their numbers can get SO high around here it becomes a danger to drivers.

I respect Trigger's views VERY much on this subject, and was even convinced that the use of e collars isn't just BAD, bad, bad across the board. I think very, very few things are black and white.

But on the subject of using dogs to hunt bears, cougars, or bobcats.. I just really don't see the need to.. I mean, they are by no means over-populated animals! I just don't think those animals should be hunted for sport at all, let alone with the use of dogs.. But that's just my opinion on it.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 1:53pm PST 
I find hunting distasteful, although many of my family members hunt and I realize good hunters are usually about the biggest animal lovers (and lovers of nature) around.
That said, I eat the meat. I just can't bear to kill anything, or see it killed. That goes for everything but Mosquitos!
So, speaking from the point of view of my hunting friends and family; no, they would not use dogs. For the same reasons Trigger brought up. The kill should always be humane, and for a purpose. My native friends use every part of the elks they take, from bone to hide. If the dogs create stress on the animal (which they are bound to do) the meat is pretty well useless and the animal has died poorly, and in vain.
Is it hypocritical that I allow my dog to chase rabbits and squirrels? She seems so disadvantaged that I swear they think it's fun to taunt her. If I thought they were actually fearful, I think I'd put a stop to it.
[notify]

Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:04pm PST 
I know some people eat bear. have tried it, not a fan.
but do they eat cougars&bobcats?
I believe if you shoot it, eat it. well, unless its sick. hubby shot a coyote once and I have shot a opposum.

I knew a guy that had a cougar as a pet... dont ask, or get me started on that. but it was neat to get to pet and feed one.I even took stitches out of his belly and still have both hands and all ten fingers!
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 4:56pm PST 
Meh. See I don't generally like dogs 'running' game.

I dislike it because given where and how I was raised, it wasn't acceptable in our ethics. I believe the origin was in it not being a quick or clean kill and generally it was dangerous to the dogs.

I make a personal exception for hogs, which here are a major nuisance and a huge problem for farmers and suburbs alike despite it, arguably, being as dangerous as bear or cougar running.

Edited by author Wed Jan 2, '13 4:57pm PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 6:14pm PST 
See.. I can agree with Trigger and Dylan..

But a ban like that here, would do more good than harm. Up here, Beagles are still used in hunting packs. These dogs are kept in tiny cages, if not chained outside all day(all year round, harsh winters included where they die in the cold) without interaction. They're starved with the belief that a hungry Beagle will be a better hunter, and are abused quite often. If a dog goes missing? Meh, nobody cares. If a dog is injured? It's shot. Many of the hunters here(and I'm not saying all, because there ARE good hunters) don't take PROPER, or good care of their dogs. And it drives me nuts. I worked with the Beagle rescue for a reason. One of my fosters was an ex-hunting dog. He was severely food aggressive, fear aggressive, lacked any impulse control whatsoever, and had quite the bite history with people by the time I got him and was working with him.

I have pictures of hunting Beagles that would break Dogster's hearts. You would think puppy mill with half the pictures of the dogs in cages, or chained.. It's absolutely heart wrenching..

I do not and never will condone such hunters. Hunters with heart? Hunters who actually give a crap about their dogs? Absolutely.. I disagree with the way these Beagles are kept though, and I disagree with forms of hunting such as hog-dogging. The number of times such animals come out injured... On both ends.. Ugh..

But THIS... I will never ever condone:
Tied Beagle

Caged Beagle

Beagle Chain

Beagle Caged

I wish a ban like that would come here.. I will never stop supporting the rescue of animals kept in these conditions. These are the Beagles up here in Canada, used for hunting.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 7:13pm PST 
I don't like hunting...to begin with...but on this one...

I think I'm with the hunters!
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 7:26pm PST 
Well, then you are not with the wildlife. Hopefully some bed bugs will come have a nice long talk with you.

Edited by author Wed Jan 2, '13 7:27pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 9:22pm PST 
I do know people who run their dogs on pigs, the dogs seem to love the work, but personally I would not care to do it. These dogs aren't pets, they are coursing animals, and my interest in dogs is only as companions. The dogs are kept in a yard when not used and not chained. I have actually seen people be crueler to their sheep dogs than their hog dogs.

I do run JT on rabbits sometimes, but it's very sporting on the rabbit as he never catches any. laugh out loud ( I live in the country with a lot of wide open space, rabbits are rotten pests and good eating, so I think it's okay to indulge his prey drive.)

It is a common thing to hunt with dogs here, both in the traditional bird dog sense and using the dog to make the kill, it doesn't seem frowned upon, more just a way of life. Bull Arab/lurcher puppies are up for sale all over the place.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 9:45pm PST 
I live in Nova Scotia and there are a couple of neighbours that do go rabbit hunting with their beagles. These dogs are pretty much house dogs and well taken care of. One of my neighbours had to put his old beagle down to old age. I convinced him (showed pictures) of a beagle at the animal rescue which he adopted. This beagle is an absolute lap dog. When my neighbour tried to get him to take a rabbit pelt, the dog was actually scared of the rabbit and wanted nothing to do with it. It was a pretty funny incident. He has a hunting dog that won't hunt, so now he is just a spoiled little love puppy!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 7: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7