GO!

Hyperactive GSD

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 49)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 6:13pm PST 
Pandora hug I am the proud owner of Shadow AKA The Energizer Bunny.

I play fetch and tug, bought a cheapy agility set for my yard, own an endless supply of dog puzzles and I had to start running again to take some of the edge off. If you can get hubby to cooperate have him start ignoring her when he comes home. That should help with the 'Crazy Shepherd Greetings'.
I have been using an ecollar on Shadow under guidance from a qualified person so I can swap notes on that as well if you like. But I am not sure it would help in your case.
[notify]
Carbon

I'll just take a- nap until you- pet me.

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 8:36pm PST 
I was going to suggest running with the car (I do that with my two) but didn't know how well it would be received here lol. It's a great way to challenge her activity level without getting tired yourself!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 1:42am PST 
Ok -the calm-ezze are food additives like vitamins not drugs! Total over reaction here!!!

The dogs in Italy are not pups -they were dumped outside in a box in 2009 outside our house in Italy .Has anyone here dealt with the Italian authorities when it comes to caring for strays? If they have please do tell me all about your successful attempts to re-home strays there!

Basically the local council is responsible but its the Police there that have to send a fax to the public vets who then do nothing so you have to drive to their office and help them uncover this fax in a pile of paperwork then if you are lucky they may collect a female dog spay her and return her to your garden! Now due to the economic situation in Italy they are not even doing this. Local dogs homes are full to bursting and are more like prisons than dogs homes.

These dogs are a constant worry to me and it is very lucky that a local lady does feed them as we are living mainly in the UK. What is possible in the US or UK isn't in Italy and you do need to be there to really understand.

As I said before I am certainly not an expert but I just wanted to pass on some info regarding the calm-ezze as we have found them helpful and I thought the GSD owner might too?

I'm sure everything thats been written about exercise etc comes from dog owner's experience of what works for them but I do feel concerned that we do over stimulate pets and our children by constantly 'stimulating' with toys and activities and never letting them be still and calm-not bored but calm and happy in their own skins! That's all I was trying to say.
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 8:33am PST 
An animal bred for work who ISN'T being worked is never going to feel "good" in its own skin without anything to do.

That should be obvious confused
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 5:01am PST 
IMHO, if you have to give your dog pills to calm him/her down on a daily basis, you have to consider whether you as an owner are meeting that dog's needs.

I feel that that's why proper puppy/dog placement from breeders and rescues as well is VITAL. Active, high energy, dedicated owners should be placed with high energy prospects, especially when it comes to those high octane herding dogs.

I know that my dog, who is high drive/high energy DOES have an off switch if she's given a proper outlet. Both training and exercise are needed to wear her out. If she's still edgy and bugging me for something to do, I feel that it's my problem for not providing her enough stimulation.

I don't feel that it's her "fault" and I'd never consider medicating her just to make her fit better into my life style.

At some point, you have to ask, "Am I really a good fit for this dog if I have to medicate him/her just to deal with the energy level?"

Again, especially with those herders, they're supposed to have boundless mental and physical energy. They're specifically bred for that in many cases. If you don't like those attributes, maybe it's time to consider an older shelter dog or a companion breed like pugs who don't need that caliber of mental and physical outlet.

This is why research is so important when choosing a dog. Whether you're picking a dog from the shelter or a puppy from a breeder, you can't just go with what's cute and force it to be what you want.

you want a dog that fits into your current lifestyle, not a dog that you and your family have to fit around.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 5:13pm PST 
When dealing with hyperactive dogs, you might want to get them exercised daily. Exercising them will decrease their pent up energy thus making them a little less hyperactive. You never mentioned any exercises, though. Do you exercise your dog?
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 1:16am PST 
Are most of you in the US? In the UK there is lots of importance placed on diet and nutrition and when we changed our dog's diet we noticed a big change; maybe there is less emphasis on these factors in the US??? Lots of dog trainers use

Our dog gets plenty of exercise and he is very calm for a BC.Just nervous bout certain noises and other things.

How many of you take evening primrose for pmt?? Vitamins and food supplements can make a big difference to a dog's behaviour ONCE other issues have been resolved.If you turn your back on them totally you are really doing your dog a disservice.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 1:24am PST 
Our dog is a rescue - he was shut up in a house in town for 9 hours a day then only on lead walks -basically a very damaged dog when we got him at 2 and a half - we soon found out he would bite if he was touched in a way he was nervous of and would run away if he heard shots !!

If we had not taken him he would have been put down. Homes here do not take dogs that bite -end of.He now has a country home with big garden ,walks and play.

He is our 4th BC -we started 35 yrs ago so we do know a bit about them!

If you really want to know what experts say about BCs lok at the brilliant Border Collie Trust website - it may give a more balanced view.
[notify]
Sadie

Frisbee?????

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:39pm PST 
I also have an energizer bunny GSD. One is calm the other makes you want to pull your hair out. Exercise does help some for a short period of time. We taught her to catch a frisbee and she will play for hours. If we are home and want to throw it in the house for her she loves it. The other day when I was at town I found a calming collar. It looks like a flea collar but has a smell that is supposed to calm them. It maybe helps a little but not much you still have to wear her down but it seems to take the prozac needing edge off. She still has her moments just a tad bit calmer. I say plenty of exercise and you might get one of the toys that you put treats in and as they nose it around the treats or kibble fall out. Mine love it and it keeps them entertained and working for something.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 49)  
1  2  3  4  5