GO!

Scent Rolling on weird things

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 9:25pm PST 
My dogs would roll on soil. I don't understand why but I'm happy she doesn't roll on poo, anyway. I have yet to meet a dog who loves rolling on cologne.

And it is so strange that Adele's Rolling in the Deep automatically played on my mind.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 6:03am PST 
Risa loves to scent roll. The weirdest things she's rolled on would probably be dead bees and earthworms. The most disgusting was the dead robin. Even worse because we were at the dog park and I had to put her IN MY CAR to get her home and bathed. Disgusting!! She thought it was the most awesome thing ever!
[notify]
Fox

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 8:47am PST 
I knew a dog who loved lemon-scented cleaner. I had to switch products when he was around, or he'd follow me around rubbing all over everything I wiped down. Not only was rubbing in cleaner bad for him, he left thick brown fur stuck to everything I just cleaned!

I know another dog who likes to roll in clean laundry. But not fresh out of the drier - he likes it fresh out of the washing machine. Once it's dry, it's not good anymore.

Fox rolls in stuff seasonally. Since it's winter, she rolls in snow. In the fall, she rolled in warm, sun-dried grass. Spring and summer, she rolls in the thick, fresh grass that grows in shady areas.

Ember likes all the typical nasty stuff, especially prey animal's poop.
[notify]

Lizzie, CGC

Fence Jumper

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 8:52am PST 
Lizzie rolls on dead worms, dead fish, invisible things... She also really likes certain fabric softeners or laundry detergent, even some shampoos and cologne, and she will rub all over people if they smell strongly of those scents.

The most embarrassing thing she rolls on though is the rawhides and other chewies at pet stores. She once knocked down an entire shelf at Petco while I had my back turned!
[notify]
Wilbur

Can I bite your- toes?

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 1:13pm PST 
laugh out loud LOL I am loving these responses!!!

Wilbur is my odd child and scent rolls on just about anything! Dish soap, cardboard, cologne, fruit/veggies, canned food, chapstick (when it's on your lips, lol), lotion, toothpaste tubes and shoes to name a few! Of course he does the regular ole nasty things like other dead animals, bugs and certain types of poop!
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 2:12pm PST 
I know this thread is old but I'm reviving it anyways because it was fun and my dog is weird. wave Some new odd things Lily has rolled on include: jelly beans, non punctured fish oil pills, and a peanut still in the shell.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 10:37am PST 
big laugh Jellybeans?!
Thats pretty hilarious. I wish my dog would roll in jellybeans and peanuts, instead he has dead fish stashed around the property cry Every few days for the past few weeks he has come in smelling foul, and the more time passes, the more foul he is. I'd follow him around and find the odd fish and get rid of it but finally my boyfriend went on a reconnaissance mission. He found 5 dead fish!! Hopefully he got them all, so far so good!
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 1:25pm PST 
I hear you on the dead fish, hopefully he found them all! My old pup Starr once rolled on fish that was decomposing and covered in maggots. After she got up maggots were falling off of her while she was running around. Yuck! The worst thing Scruffy rolled in so far was fox pee which smells almost as bad as skunk spray. I had to give him like 3 baths with dish soap before he stopped stinking.

An other weird thing Lily rolled on was little bits of a mint Tums antacid. laugh out loud

Edited by author Fri Jan 3, '14 1:27pm PST

[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sat Jan 4, '14 7:32am PST 
bump
[notify]
Luci

Luuuciii, you- have some- 'splainin to do

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 10:14pm PST 
Luci is obsessed with dryer sheets. So much so that if I'm doing laundry, she sits in front of the dryer and snorts at me while excitedly shuffling her feet until I give her a dryer sheet... then she snorts as she grabs it (I pretend that's her 'thank you!') and runs off. If I follow her she takes it to the living room where she puts it down and dives face first to roll all over it. Then does some shimmy on her back... to get her back good and covered in the scent, I guess.

She also loves to roll in baby powder, the wet bath mat and wet bath towels immediately after I get out of the shower (she tries to steal my towel while I'm still using it...), and carpet sprinkles. We joke that she just likes to smell pretty.

On the flip side, when I was trying to train her to use pee pads, she would roll in the spray we used to try to mark the pads so she'd want to piddle on them.

She's a weirdo, but we love her all the same.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3