GO!

Dogs new to horses . . .. what are the common reactions?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 9 of 19: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 2:25pm PST 
Ugh! I couldn't resist looking, says nothing new, just quibbles with the details like the distance (looks like it was "only" a mile--not this 1.6 miles the authorities keep going on about) and whether the boot was really bitten . . . .naughty (what? if the boot was not bit you must acquit?) shrug Someone's in deep denial and clutching at straws.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 2:40pm PST 
Yes, that's it....the map questions an exaggeration of distance.

Me....I am looking and deep tears to thick muscles. If he wasn't shooting for a death bite, then maybe would have gone at the fetlock and pasterns; putting the strength of that bite as seen on the muscles would have been catastrophic.

But I know. It's all a sham. Just some silly ol' horse...I mean, REALLY, are we even talking about that, what about the poor DOG and how upsetting it must have been to have seen something like that?......and a dog having fun and some officer who decided to take a nap after falling from his horse and then pretended to be unconscious, you know? And an owner....I mean COME ON....how are you supposed to have control of your known prey drive breed before he kills something? I mean, REALLY, how rude!

naughty

Edited by author Mon Dec 24, '12 2:40pm PST

[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 3:32pm PST 
all he wanted to do was say hi.. and maybe play
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 4:43pm PST 
Poor friendly doggie big hug

I kicked myself in the bum and HERE is a forum thread from Chronicle of the Horse I dug up researching PB horse aggression. They number of stray PBs who ended up mushing their way onto horse owner's properties was pretty touching. And only further underscores the over-the-top responses from this dog. My fave entry -

"There is a long saga on here back in the archives of a very hungry pittie who showed up in my barn several years ago. She was approx. four years old and time went by as I tried to arrange to get her to a rescue in N. Carolina (another member on here). She stayed too long, stole my heart and she's a family member now. I never wanted a Pit Bull, but she just ignored my bad opinion and walked right into my heart. I've never regretted keeping her. She's funny, downright hilarious at times, loves the horses, loves my husband and would love our little house dog if she wasn't terrified of him."

Edited by author Mon Dec 24, '12 4:44pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 10:13am PST 
And now there is a "professional dog walker" insisting there was nothing wrong with his shelter behavior? REALLY? So insane.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 11:09am PST 
If somebody feels a need to mention their "impeccable references" (like that's supposed to be evidence of something) . . . . on a blog comment, well . . .. all I can say is I'm duly unimpressed . . .laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 11:15am PST 
Ok, just blew my top. Let's see if "six horses" comes back laugh out loud

"

That would depend on the horse, now, wouldn't it? How many horses have you worked with? Have you worked with off the track thoroughbreds? Horses with questionable histories? Horses that have previously been attacked by dogs? I think perhaps that you might want to rethink your overly generalized statement.

Share ›

I have reschooled racehorses for twenty years. I have also been a stallion manager for Egyptian Arabians and Morgans. Moreover, I grew up in NYC, where most of the horses were reschooled racers, and did just fine. I have also been on the backside at NYRA tracks throughout my childhood and into my early adult years.....horses get hot because they know a race is coming. Many back at the barn are pussycats. Probably the best example of this is the recent grand celebrity Zenyatta, who was so amped before her races she could barely contain herself or hold still....that was her legend.....yet on the backside was such a pussycat that her fans could be allowed over to give her a cuddle. This horse, Stoney....you know, the VICTIM?!...... did not bolt until the dog was ATTACHED TO HIS LEG! I will further add that I co-chair a rescue and have been assessing shelter dogs for fifteen years. I have been a Pit Bull advocate for twenty. I have a PB foster right now with high prey drive, particularly towards cats, but I can call him off his drive. Pit Bull leader organization Bad Rap ****recommends AGAINST dog parks in any situation any way.**** I think perhaps YOU need to learn a little more. I have been involved in horses for a really long time, and no, I have not worked with a horse who has been attacked by a dog...chased, sure, attacked?, no....because there are very few dogs who would think to launch a predator attack on a horse. The worst you get it some heel nipping, and they usually try that once and the hoof imprint stuck on their face has them think the wiser of it. Worrying horses would be the most normal complaint. Not attacking. I have assessed Pit Bulls for many, many years and have dedicated a part of my life to them. This dog is no Lennox. PB advocates need to find their champions. They are all over the place. A clueless owner and a high drive dog are not that. Not by a long shot. I will also add, as I have said before, that as a young adult I boarded a horse in NYC, on 89th, hacked into Central Park every day. Loose dogs everywhere. Of every shape and variety. At a walk, trot, canter or nice open gallop around the reservoir. I am very aware of dog reactions in basically an identical setting. For a number of years, daily experience. I am very aware of a range of reactions. This was extreme."

Edited by author Wed Dec 26, '12 11:19am PST

[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 11:34am PST 
I really wanted to put up a video of one of my favorite racehorses this year, Street Life and his hidden talent. Contrasts a bit from what you saw on the track in his sensational maiden breaker. Putting that up just for our own enjoyment laugh out loud

Edited by author Wed Dec 26, '12 11:42am PST

[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 11:42am PST 
Great answer, Tiller...I liked the video too. big grin
[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 11:44am PST 
Thanks, Twister. I am curious if she will come back to argue. Haven't exactly left her with many holes.

Updated my links above...penned them in wrong. Stupid brain a day after Christmas! It's just a good example of a horse who can run like a bat out of hell on the track but is a pussycat outside of that setting.

Judging Stoney because he is an ex-racer is moronic, and also a hypocrisy.

Edited by author Wed Dec 26, '12 11:46am PST

[notify]
  (Page 9 of 19: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19