GO!

Pee, pee EVERYWHERE!!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 1:40pm PST 
Nor my entire male, either. And outdoors marking is his favourite activity ever. The house training in this situation has likely not been done properly. Time to start again from scratch. Which means keeping an eye on your dog at all times.

It must be confusing though going from kennel to house especially when they pee in the kennel? It sounds like these dogs need more from you, really.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 3:35pm PST 
My dogs, TEN of them, are mostly ex-show/breeding dogs and toy breeds at that and are mostly males. While I may have an rare leg lift, it is always directly MY FAULT as I was not properly watching/supervising.
These guys were not easy to housebreak but in order for them to be good house pets and companions, peeing on everything is not accepted nor desired and the work was well worth it!!!
I let them out often, used baby gates to keep them in the same room that I was in, and the second anyone even thought about lifting, they were distracted with a word from me, usually AHHHH, and quickly ushered outside.
If I was doing ANYTHING that involved my total attention they were either outside or in their crates.
Right now they are really good and I have expanded their free roaming area to my living room and kitchen as well as their "dog room". Aside from a few chewed up pieces of paper that Crystal steals out of the trash, they are excellent and well-behaved, even when I have guests and other dogs visiting.
BUT, they have tons of toys and things to do while in the house. My bedrooms are still off limits UNLESS I am in there with them as they are out of sight from the living room.
Please note... most important is to properly exercise your dog prior to bringing it into the house. No matter what the weather or how tired I am, they are taken out into a huge fenced in field and allowed to run and play BEFORE they are turned loose in my house. It doesn't work to just put them in an outside kennel, they WILL NOT exercise themselves enough unless I am with them, throwing toys, running with them, etc. But, when they do come in, they are ready to grab a toy and find a dog bed and settle while we all relax and watch TV or whatever that evening activity may be. And, they are also put out for a "break" after about two hours of their freedom AND again before they go to bed for the night.
I can't imagine living in a house full of urine, nor do I have enough time for cleaning urine off the floors and furniture every night. I sure wouldn't enjoy my dogs very much if they were constantly marking everything in sight, and the sole reason I have them is to enjoy their companionship!!!
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 3:50pm PST 
I have an intact male Shih Tzu, almost three years old, who has never marked in the house. Not even once. And he was never punished for an accident when he was younger. The key to keeping any dog from having accidents or from developing a marking habit is strict management and supervision. These dogs should never be allowed out of your sight, and when you aren't home, they should be indoors in crates or confined to a small, non-carpeted area. When they go outside, they need to be HEAVILY rewarded. Gunther is still rewarded for going outside, even though he virtually NEVER has an accident. Not even when he was once left alone in the kitchen/entry area for 16 hours when my husband and I were extremely ill with the flu.

I'm not really sure why a Shih Tzu mix would be kept outdoors for any length of time at all.. If the dogs are kept outside the majority of the time, were not properly house-trained, and have not been repeatedly rewarded for going outside, they likely are confused where they should be going in the first place. Punishing a dog for having an accident does absolutely nothing to train them, on a side note. It's all confinement, management, supervision, and reinforcement of the correct place to relieve themselves.
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 7:52pm PST 
Start over and housebreak your dogs. Don't punish them, rubbing thier noses in pee just proves to them people are weird and cruel. They don't make the association that they shouldn't pee in the house.

Basically tether them to you. If they start to pee, rush them outside and praise/treat when they finish up outside. Praise/treat every time they pee outside. If you are consistent, they will get the idea and stop marking your house.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2