GO!

Pee, pee EVERYWHERE!!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gizmo

New Years Doggy!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 8:06am PST 
I have two male dogs, if they are in the house roaming in the free areas, they will pee on everything. They are both fixed, I have an unfixed female. Basically they pee on top of each others pee. It turns out to be a river of pee. We have the kitchen and the living room free to them now its down to the kitchen. We'll keep them outside all day then they'll come right back in and PEE! Any fixes for this? Or ideas on how to stop this, it's ruining the floors and everything!
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 8:50am PST 
If I had a dog that peed in the house, he wouldn't have any freedom inside unless I was in the same room with them. Do they pee in the same spot all time? Have you tried a product called boundry? It worked for me when I had cats.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 8:56am PST 
Sounds like you need to go back to basics. Tethering or crating when you can't supervise, take them out to pee/mark every hour. It is marking, not urinating due to a full bladder. Do not allow it. Clean everything thoroughly with an enzyme based cleaner..Nature's Miracle or SoX are great.
Sounds like the dogs have too much freedom & unsupervised time. Training & monitoring them closely is a good idea.
Again..do not allow them to mark..interrupt them & quickly take them outside. No need to yell or make a fuss. It is you who missed the signs they are about to mark. Clean it up & move on.

Edited by author Wed Dec 12, '12 8:57am PST

[notify]

Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 10:25am PST 
I thought you primarily kept your two males in the outside kennel?

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/7 61945

What did you do initially to housetrain them?
[notify]
Gizmo

New Years Doggy!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 10:37am PST 
They stay outside almost all the time but I'm not cruel and keep them outside for 12 hours a day when it's freezing cold.
They pee in the same areas we know where to look, they are both fixed. They pee on the washer and dryer, the trash can, and in front of the sink. Heaven forbid if we leave a gate down they go crazy if they normally aren't allowed there. They are inside maybe 3 hours free to roam in the areas designated. We've tried caging if they pee, rubbing their nose in it, taking them out, noise makers if the smell, but its ridiculous when we bring them in and they immediately pee on something.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:22am PST 
Don't rub their nose in it.

Again, as suggested, have you cleaned every spot with a specific cleaner?

And it seems like they are not ready for the freedom you're giving them. You need to limit their freedom from the get go, not after. Prevention is key. Before you bring them in, go out and make sure they both pee. That way, you know they don't have to go when inside.

Then when inside, either crate or keep them in a small room. They may even need to be separated if it's becoming a competition of sorts.
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 7:37am PST 
Don't allow them free access. When they're inside, they are tethered to you or crated, or put in an x-pen. Don't allow them to continue to practice this behavior.

Clean everything with an enzyme cleaner, as has been suggested multiple times.

Look for the signs that tell you the dog is about to mark. For a lot of dogs, those signs often include, but are certainly not limited to, sniffing, lining their body up to be horizontal to the object they're going to pee on, and, of course, lifting the leg. When you see any of those signs, immediately interrupt and bring the dog out.

Reward when the dog makes the correct choice to mark outdoors.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 9:47am PST 
Why is the female intact?

Rubbing their noses doesn't do anything..

Use a cleaner like nature's miracle it works even for grandpa who has poor aim in the bathroom.. shh

Having an intact female could been what set them off as maybe when she goes into heat?

I know the males are neutered, but still a neutered male can still smell the inheat female..

I agree they need to be treated like puppies again and be either crated when not watched or by your side via leash. then take them out to potty.

They get one walk a day maybe two walks would help so they get more time to mark outside in the neighborhood?

I've only had one male dog at a time not two so never had issues with dogs marking in house except when puppies, but that was our fault for being lax on things. I agree smell isn't nice my neighbor in Louisiana his dog marked in the house and even pooed it smelled bad even though they wiped it up. :
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 10:04am PST 
I disagree this is a gender issue. It's learned behavior because initial house training was either done incorrectly, was left uncompleted, or was neglected entirely. That can happen with both male and female canines. It is likely exacerbated by the intact female as someone else mentioned.

I've got four males living in my house, Hoyt wasn't neutered until this past summer, and I've still never had any of them mark anything in my house. We've had other male and other female dogs visit our home, intact and altered, they've never wavered.

(To add, I've also got two male cats, a male rabbit and a male chin also in the home, none of them mark anything in our home either. They were simply trained not to, it wasn't difficult at all.)
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 11:13am PST 
Totally agree Trigger. My males have never been allowed to mark in the house, even when the female downstairs goes into heat. They get a little rangy, but who can blame themlaugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2