GO!

I HATE WINTER. Just venting....

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 7:10pm PST 
I have to keep an eye on Jasper during the winter, he puts weight on FAST if I don't watch his intake carefully.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 11:23pm PST 
JT gets a bit chunky in the winter, probably from all the chews and stuff he gets to keep him busy. It doesn't get terribly cold here but I hate taking him out in it and refuse to walk in the rain! I much prefer summer, we like to walk at night, and walking at night in winter is awful!

He is well behaved all year and never chews anything, thank goodness! That would make me very unhappy indeed. laugh out loud
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 5:31am PST 
My two longhaired dogs love winter, and so do I. Of course winter just has to have snow. Watt and Rolo can stay out for hours. Rolo came from South Carolina, so snow is really a treat for him. I love to watch the dogs run through the fresh snow, scooping it up with their mouths. And then of course their "swimming" through the deep snow. It's too bad the days are so short, but the snow helps make up for it. And they never gain weight in the winter; they are so active they need extra food in the winter.
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 6:57am PST 
Gus has taught me to enjoy winter more than I used to, because she loves it so much. The main thing I hate about winter are the heating bills naughty

But her routine doesn't change exercise wise, because our yard is small, all exercise is walking, going to class or the dog park . . ..
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 7:19am PST 
i dont mind winter so much anymore especially living in Michigan where its snowing one minute and then sunny and 50 degrees the next big laugh Kashmir does have a tendancy to get a little chunky because i dont like walking in the dark shh. But she loves to help me shovel the snow and she knows when her coat or sweater comes out we get to go somewhere. happy dance
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 7:43am PST 
I love New England winter, fall and winter are the best time of year here. I hate heat and humidity, and my curly coated black dog does, too. We still hike in that weather, but it's not as enjoyable for us, my breathing suffers and Lu gets heated up quickly. I've got to plan hikes where there are good sections of shade, bring more water etc. Unfortunately, unlike drier climates, anytime the temp gets up there the humidity always does here at the same time.

None of those worries this time of year. We can be much more active in the winter. I plan our more challenging routes uphill this time of year. Lucille loves the snow as much as I do. I don't have to be as diligent about getting her coat clipped shorter. I made sure to get a breed that enjoyed being out in all weather and had the coat for it because I'd been on a breed before that couldn't. Her mind is sharper and she trains better when it's not so hot, too. Same goes for me, my brain is just blah in the heat and humidity...

Vent on big grin I understand, I just get it in the opposite way. I know I feel like doing it when it's 90 with 95% humidity. ugh. I could never live in a climate where it was like that for long.
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 7:50am PST 
The cooler months are far better for us. But, we live in a very hot climate. Dog doors are not a good idea, if you want a well-behaved dog. Ideally, you should make your dog wait for you to go outside, then follow afterwards. I actually just bought Eduardo a new Big Shrimpy bed! What I like about them is that they are stylish. I think your boys need to be crated when you are gone. Eduardo is always crated when I am not home. Destructive behavior can be a sign of lack of exercise. Do you walk your dog’s daily? Don’t worry about the birthday dinner, dogs have no idea. I’m sure they will love their meatloaf cake, though. It’s possible your dogs are getting too much freedom. I suggest investing in two good quality dog crates and crate mats.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 9:08am PST 
Mine aren't too bad during winter months, but they do get a little stir crazy due to lack of walkies. Paris doesn't tolerate cold weather well. Because Nick has a thick coat so he enjoys the winter when it's not too extremely harsh. I like the winter because Nick and I can actually have a "normal" walk and just enjoy each others company and not have to worry about triggers. There's a home & garden center that they go to so they can get a little bit of exercise and change of environment.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 1:33pm PST 
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get too cold or snow much here this winter. Mostly because I dislike the cold myself LOL.

So far the coldest we've gotten is about -9 (16 Fahrenheit I think). And that was just one day.
If it stays around there I will probably have to invest in some cold-weather wear for Rigby. Although she has a double coat, she shivers a lot in the colder temps.

Aside from that, as long as I can keep myself warmish, we shouldn't have too many issues with the cold.
Fetch becomes a much more interesting game in deep snow wink
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 12:09pm PST 
I love winter but my dog does not like it. He is poorly adapted for cold winters and snow. I don't walk him as much in the winter because he refuses if it's too cold. For my next dog I will consider the climate I live in. I really want to have a nordic breed who wants to be in the snow as my next dog. If I get a nordic breed I will take up snowshoeing or cross country skiing to do with the dog.

Try walking your dogs more in the winter. The cold is not so cold when you are walking in it. Exercise releases endorphins and is a natural anti depressant. Winter is more depressing if you shut in your house.

When there is a lot of snow my dog won't poop in it. That is annoying. I am far to interested in down hill winter sports to hate winter, it's the opposite for me. I love snowy winters and get excited over winter storm warnings. I love it when over a foot of snow falls. We don't have enough snow where I live right now and I hope we get some more. Our economy depends on good ski seasons.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2