GO!

I HATE WINTER. Just venting....

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 11:08am PST 
Do you find the cold winter months are the worst? The boys are so good all year until the cold hits. I have doggy doors so while we're at work in the warm months they go out whenever they want, but I could tell that now that it's cold they've been staying in more. I could tell cause they're starting to get into trouble again. I just bought 2 new dog beds from drs smith and forster. It had great reviews from people with destructive dogs. I just got them Thursday and yesterday, monday, I come home to a mess. They chewed a hole in 1 of them and pulled out the stuffing. What made things even worse was that yesterday was Ringo's birthday. I was so mad at them that I postponed the birthday dinner for them. I know, that's mean, but come on, I spent $100 on these beds and they couldn't let them last more then 4 days. Well all is forgiving today so tonight they'll get their meat loaf cake and balloons. Starting tomorrow, they loose some of their freedom. They will be stuck in the mud room while we're at work and only be aloud in the main part of the house when we're home.

Edited by author Tue Dec 11, '12 11:10am PST

[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 12:07pm PST 
Postponing birthday dinner isn't mean. And all would not be forgiven if that business just happened yesterday in my house lol

Winter is only harder on the littles here. A sensitive Pug and a thin skinned Miniature Pinscher don't do well when, with windchill, the evening temp is -22. They do a lot more zoomies around the house because they can't stay outside for as long even with coats.

The Labs however absolutely REVEL in going WILD in the snow. They burn off far more energy during the winter months in far shorter amount of time because they have to work harder to get through the snow and the cold is taxing.

They spend much of their day sleeping as of late because early morning and evening exercise completely poops them out.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 12:37pm PST 
I'm kind of mixed on winter.

My 2 LOVE the cold, so they are definitely more active. That's great for Sanka because I can walk him with Kato on the longer walks rather than having to do 2 like in the summer or having to take multiple breaks. They also enjoy sunbathing. Sanka doesn't do it in the summer, but in the winter, if the sun is out, he's soaking up the rays.cloud 9

And snow. Don't even get me started on snow. Snow is just about the only thing Sanka will play with. The dogs look like cattle grazing on the fresh snow.

The main thing I HATE is that the sun has set by the time I get home, which greatly dampens my mood to go for a walk, so I often skip it.shh

As far as beds go, For years I just stuck to getting cheap beds whenever they'd wear out. But both the dogs proved that they weren't the type to tear that to shreds, so I bit the bullet last year on better beds. If they ever tore up any of their beds, I doubt I'd spend much on any new beds.
[notify]

Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 12:43pm PST 
I've noted that Charks is terrible at sorting out my values laugh out loud We are pretty much business as usual in winter. We've got around a foot of snow on the ground plus it's... a bit cool. Charka is in heaven... and I have a hard time not feeding off her enthusiasm. The difference between us is that _I_ don't purposefully start bouncing through the drifts. I DID teach her how to walk with me when I'm using the snowblower... no more white shepherd here!
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 12:58pm PST 
Both Rexy and I love winter, and usually head out during the first snowfall to goof off and play.

My girl loves snow so much that in fall and spring when snow is at a minimum, we regularly head out to the local rink to play in the zamboni pile!
And according to Rexy, peeing on snow is the best. laugh out loud

No fancy beds here. Rexy consistently chooses her bed to throw up on, so we will stick to her home-made kuranda-style bed and washable blankets.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 12:58pm PST 
I bought the beds only because I'm finally getting rid of THEIR couch. The couch that they chewed 3 yrs ago and has been covered with rug just so they have something to sleep on. I'm tired of my house looking like a flop house run by dogs. I let them take over and now it's time I take my house back. I know I can never trust them with new living room furniture so I'm moving my dining room into the kitchen/family combo room where the dogs stay now and setting up my living room where my dining room is now, which is a pretty good size room with a cozy wood stove. Their couch will go out in the mud room where they will start staying when nobody is home.The mud room is 6' by 22' so I don't feel bad leaving them out there.Plus they still have access to the yard via doggy door. It's better then a 2x3 crate. I bought the beds for them to sleep on at night when they're in the house with us.
Ringo likes the snow and will play and run crazy in it but Huck prefers to be inside when it's cold. Right now, there's no snow on the ground. It's just cold and both dogs don't want to stay out too long.

Edited by author Tue Dec 11, '12 1:04pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 1:30pm PST 
Bunny loves winter and snowbig grin What he doesn't like is snowplows! naughty
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 1:31pm PST 
My two are not bothered by any kind of weather really but i OTOH absolutely hate walking in snow and ice! You'll find me shuffling along the road to the field like an old woman and constantly telling the dogs to wait up when they're barely moving from my side! laugh out loud I'm that paranoid about falling over and breaking my leg or something!

Edited by author Tue Dec 11, '12 1:32pm PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 1:41pm PST 
I toadly think Al Gore has a point-it really ain't winter here no more. We had a day and night of flurries a few weeks back but 50 degrees today, and this isn't Fla this is the Northeast...It is hard on breezy days though. Sophie has moderately short fur and Callie has a peach fuzz covering...almost too light to be fur. They get cold easy, especially him. Thing I hate about winter is it starting to get dark at 3pm!!!
[notify]
Oscar

Oscar Monster

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 3:40pm PST 
Oscar loves winter, and hates summer. I, on the other hand can't stand winter and love summer.
We butt heads a lot...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2