GO!

getting a second dog.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 6: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 5:41pm PST 
Oh and by the way, the shelter approved me today so looks like i am picking her up Saturday!!! Cant wait smile
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 7:04pm PST 
That's Great! You know we'll expect some puppy pics. Right? laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 8:43pm PST 
LOL oh I know Kali, she will be added to dogster thats for sure!! dancing
I'm so excited I just hope Mika gets along with her
[notify]

Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 12:57am PST 
Ohhh! Yay! New puppyyyyy!

Admittedly, I'm extremely excited! laugh out loud

If you need any help crate training, I know that Karen Pryor's DVD Crate Games has been highly recommended. There are also TONS of videos on YouTube that show how to teach a puppy (or dog) to love their crate! It just takes time and patience.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 5:26am PST 
Did you mean "Crate Games" by Susan Garrett?
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 5:52am PST 
LOL i'm excited to!!!! And ok thank you, I will check that out for sure! I just have to go find a crate, I dont have one. I am nervous at the same time as excited though.....i have to admit i have heard some horror stories about husky pups, but I think as long as she gets lots of exercise and then with the crate when i am not home or around, it will work out. dog walk
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 8:23am PST 
Hey pups, one more question. I use the clicker with Mika, she was hard to walk and barked at dogs and pulled on her leash but with the clicker training I have done she is a pleasure to walk now....my question would be now with having a second pup I would like to use the clicker with her to, so is my best bet just to do training sessions separately so they dont get confused? Or is there another way? puppy
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 9:55am PST 
I think that with a clicker you're going to want to do it appart. How can you click for one dog if the other dog isn't doing it and hears the click that knows that means that what they're doing is right?

I do train appart and together but without the clicker and only general sit/down stuff. And only with other dogs that already know it. Example - I'll always have Jewel there because she knows the stuff and is fine with waiting her turn if I need to focus on a foster for a bit longer. I could have Jettsen in the group for sits/downs because he's solid for those and not grabby for treats but a little jealous attention wise. I could NOT use Chloe at this point because she's not solid on her sits/downs and IS SUPER grabby with food if I got another foster. Not saying that I'm getting another foster cuz that would be crazy right?
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 12:07pm PST 
BOL exactly what I was thinking, it would be to confusing for the poor dogs.....heck it would be confusing for me laugh out loud Thanks for the advice Jewel
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 10:23pm PST 
When introducing a new dog to your old dog, you may want to make sure that there won't be any fights ensuing. Make sure that you would be around to supervise them both if they would be playing or in the same room. We never know, our old dogs might just terrorize the new dog thinking that he might be getting replaced.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 6: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6