GO!

getting a second dog.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 6: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 8:03am PST 
I agree with pretty much everyone.

Crates are really awesome. We don't personally use one, but I'm going to buy one soon for Lobo. We're moving, and a cat will be coming along with us. So, unfortunately for Lobo, we have to use a lot of management until I'm comfortable with Lobo and the cat being loose at the same time together. NEVER along though. Never.

We also don't leave Poppy and Lobo home together. Anything can happen.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 8:26am PST 
o.k thank you Lobo. smile
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 8:40am PST 
I foster so Jewel has a lot of new stressed out dogs coming into her house. I make sure to give her lots of special Jewel time, supervise all interaction for the first while, use crates and gates to keep dogs appart when I can't be right there or for chew time and walk then appart if they aren't a walking match to her. I have found some of them walk better with her even if they have a different walking style because she's so confident they feel safer.

Edited by author Mon Dec 10, '12 8:41am PST

[notify]

Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 9:31am PST 
Thanks Jewel, great advice....I have plenty of baby gates around here already so that will work well!!
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 9:56am PST 
I recommend a first introduction on neutral territory and maybe a short walk together *before* bringing a new dog into the home. way to go
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 12:41pm PST 
yea I think i will bring Mika with me when I go to pick her up, thanks smile
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 12:53pm PST 
The sleep thing is tricky though. I don't know if anyone else sleeps in your house besides you...kids, roomates etc. We didn't know what to do at night at first. Sophie sleeps in her bed on the floor beside our bed. We could have fit Callies bed in there too but he prefers to be curled up on the people bed...then of course Sophie would join him and with their combined size me and hubby would be on the floorlaugh out loud
Callie has his own soft fleecy bed in my daughters room across the hall. The first few nights I'd carry him over there at bedtime. I'd also put him on her bed so he knew he had a choice of her bed or his own. Now hubby just has to tell both dogs "Where do you sleep?" and they wobble to their respective beds. It just takes some time.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 4:11pm PST 
yea i'm still not sure what I will do for that part of it yet.....I just dont want Mika to get upset if the puppy sleeps in my room....but for whatever reason she prefers the couch, so i dont know
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 4:49pm PST 
I second the suggestion to consider crate training. Not only does it make housebreaking much easier and provide a safe place to keep the pup when you can't be directly supervising, it's also just very useful to have a dog that's comfortable being crated for traveling, staying overnight at the vet, any kind of sports you might get into, ect.

In your situation, I'd have the pup's crate in your room, and let Mika decide if she'd rather be there or stay on the couch.

Edited by author Mon Dec 10, '12 5:06pm PST

[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 5:40pm PST 
O.K well everybody seems to say the same thing about a crate so I think that would be my best bet. And also I will do that (let Mika decide on her own if she wants in) Thank you Onyx
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 6: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6