GO!

What to do when off leash dogs charge at a puppy?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 9:27am PST 
Consider your options wink 1) You can pick up your pup; 2) you can leave your pup on the ground; 3) you can fall to the ground, curl up, covering your pup (panic position).

If you pick up your pup, you may encourage aggressive and non-aggressive dogs to jump. You may end up on the ground as a consequence... in an uncontrolled manner. If you keep your dog on the ground in more or less a heal, you're not encouraging the jump from a friendly to the same extent... and also not encouraging the jump from an aggressor. You can also more easily get to panic position if you need.

Picking up the pup is fine... as long as you can stay up. It does limit your options is you were, indeed, under attack shock

Advantage of dog-on-ground is that your dog can help you read what is going on and it's easier to get to panic position if you need to.

Obviously, dogs off-leash and not under full control should NOT be off leash. Rather than yelling out that your pup has something contagious... you probably should be yelling that YOU have a bad case of litigiousness and your lawyer's number is on speed dial thinking
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 5:34pm PST 
Ha, I like that! "My lawyer is on speed-dial!" big laugh

Honestly though, I don't know that I would want to get on the ground with a potentially dangerous dog...but then again, I think that is what you are supposed to do if one attacks you.shrug

When one of my neighbor's Boxers went after Budro (rip-he was a large shepherd mix, so no covering him...and he had been attacked by all 3 of their Boxers before, so had to hold him back from reciprocating), I body-blocked him (had a car on one side though) and smacked him with the end of the leash until he backed off (later noticed a cut on my finger, so I'm not sure if one of his teeth caught me). My brother was about to come over with a tire iron, so it's a good thing he decided to go home! Thinking back, I probably should have reported that.

With a pup and an unknown dog, first off, I'd definitely try to be aware of my surroundings (I didn't expect to be attacked in my own driveway, for sure). Just a while back I had a lab charge Twist and I when out on a walk, but he stopped when I shouted at him to stop (we just kept walking as well, didn't speed up or anything). Having a walking stick or something to block/fend off an aggressive or rude dog is a very good idea. Depending on the situation, if it's just a rude-ish dog, maybe just try to slow em down and then let them greet each other. Others have pretty much said it all (that I would have said, anyhow), so I'm not going to bother repeating anymore.smile It would be nice if others would be considerate of other people...but I don't really see that happening anytime soon. Just try to keep the peace on your own end.wink
[notify]
Dexter

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 5:57am PST 
Thanks for all the great responses! I think the main reason i picked him up and didnt try to protect him while he was on the ground was because i wasnt sure if i could block 2 dogs from him if things turned violent. But more interestingly I actually ran into these ladies against few days ago in the same forest. I started my walk 15 mins later to try and avoid them but i only ran into them at a differnt place. It was at a point where a side trail (that I was on) joins the main trail that they were on). When i saw them we were maybe 20 feet from where my trail joins the main trail they were on. So, I stopped and commanded my puppy to sit beside me where we were and placed the walking stock I was conviently holding in ground of him. I figured I'd wait till they passed by the side trail and I'd continue on the main trail in the opposite direction. When they saw me the first lady immediately leashed her lab. The second lab started rubning to me so I called out to the lady to "leash her dog". The dog only got half way to me begor she called her dog to her and leashed it. Then said in a condescending tone "Just to let you know your robbing your dog of socilization" and began lecturing me on how I was depriving my dog! So i said "You need to worry less about my dog and more about controling yours. And just to let YOU know your breaking the town bylaw by having your dog off leash! This angered her alot. She started to respond about how she knows about the laws! But since the dogs were now restrained I simply walked by them and off in the other direction. I then reported them to the local SPCA which assured me they would have officers frequent that area at the time I see them and educated owners on the leash laws. I know all dog owners that walk dogs off leash are not like these ladies but I just can't stand people being so rude to me, for no reason. Anyways I have now altered my walking schedule to walk my pup in the woods half an hour later to and havnt seem them. Thanks for all the great advice everyone!
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:18am PST 
Personally, I wouldn't tell someone what do to, i.e. "Leash your dog."

If I was really worried about it, I'd ask and give them a reason for asking like my puppy is very afraid of big dogs running up to them, etc.

Telling people what to do just sets a very negative tone. And if these are people you're going to be running into often, it's best not to have that.

Just because you are in the right doesn't make it the best decision to tell others what to do. It's best to work things out. Talk it out. Befriend them enough to get an idea when they walk, etc.

I'm sure many dogsters may disagree with me, but I guess I'd rather not have the negativity on my walks.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 10:06am PST 
If the trails have leash laws sure the dog should be leashed, but if the trails allow dogs to be off leash then it should be allowed..

I wish there was more forest trail areas that allow dogs off leash. :

There is a nice trail in my area though the trail is small and wide enough to allow any off leash fun..

It does seem the owner did have control of her dog if it came to her when called.

Most off leash dogs with owners won't listen to a thing the owner says to them..

Hope your next experience is more positive one.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2