GO!

Now Mr. Mouthy thinks it's a game...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 8:41am PST 
I'm open to any helpful hints here. Callie in the hallway is the problem. Sophie in the hallway is a problem. My youngest kid in the hallway is a problem.

Upstairs we have a narrow hallway leading from the bedrooms. It's exhausting sometimes like running a gauntlet. Sophie starts leaping because she's excited we're going downstairs and maybe outside. Callie is excited so he starts stumbling into Sophie and play nipping. My daughter will yammer mindlessly while I'm trying to redirect the dogs down the stairs.

I've tried explaining to my daughter that I'm busy with the dogs and we'll talk downstairs. I've tried growling at Callie and ignoring him when he gets nippy. And if I herd Sophie to the steps first and throw down a toy, they both run down after it.

It's just when you haven't had your first cup of coffee and the circus is blocking you upstairs...suggestions???
Let's see, line up Sophie, Callie and my daughter in front of me and practice basic sit/stay???laugh out loud
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 7:28pm PST 
Sounds like a plan. laugh out loud

Do they wear leashes inside? (the dogs I mean, not your kid laugh out loud ) That might help you gain some control.

I taught JT a default sit and wait when I toss a bit of food, he's so distracted salivating and waiting for a release he can't make trouble. But when he's rowdy I find having a leash on helps me take control of the mad circus.

Edited by author Sat Dec 8, '12 7:29pm PST

[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 9:18pm PST 
I can see why that would make you nuts - I'd be worried the child would get tangled up with the dogs and everyone would go downstairs the hard way... You might try teaching the dogs to go to a spot downstairs to wait for a treat. You could teach a "place" command; pick a place - maybe at the foot of the stairs or near the back door - where you can keep a baggie or Tupperware with treats in it and reward them for waiting there for you to let them out (or otherwise release them).

Or, depending on how mobile your daughter is, you can take the dogs downstairs and let them out, then go back up for her.

Edited by author Sat Dec 8, '12 9:21pm PST

[notify]