GO!

Cookie pee'd in my bed :*(

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Cookie

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 8:21am PST 
Went to change my sheets and noticed a round yellow stain on my mattress. How can I ever trust Cookie now? He is not allowed on my bed but I know for a fact he has snuck up on it when I was downstairs. I was in the room below and heard him jump down from my bed when I called for him. Now I can't help but wonder how many other places he has pee'd in my house? frown
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 9:55am PST 
If one of my dogs had an accident uncharacteristically I'd first assume they were ill and get them checked out by a vet.

If there wasn't a medical issue I wouldn't be upset or feel like I couldn't trust them anymore, they're just dogs for heavens sake and it's really not that big of a deal.

My pug Cooper has separation anxiety and will poo right on my bedroom pillows if given the opportunity. We don't make a big deal about it, or get upset about it at all. We just manage him so he doesn't have a chance to do such a thing.

Annoying, yes. Gross, yes. But then you know you simply have to work on training and go from there. Keep Cookie tethered to you when in the house and crated when you cannot directly supervise him. Make sure you are monitoring how much he is eating and drinking and when, and give him appropriately timed potty breaks outside. Praise for any successful voids.

If you are concerned he's had accidents elsewhere take a blacklight around your house and they should show. Make sure you clean up all accidents with an enzymatic cleaner so there is no residual traces.

If Cookie being on your bed is a big deal simply close your door.

Edited by author Fri Dec 7, '12 9:56am PST

[notify]
Cookie

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 7:02pm PST 
Now he just pee'd in my son's bed frown He is definitely not sick, trust me.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:02pm PST 
First and foremost, has your dog mastered house training? If not, then maybe that's one of the problems. Or if he has mastered house training, maybe he has entered the Plateau Stage wherein for some reason your dog would seem to forget everything that he has learned. Or the worst case scenario is that your dog has some underlying medical problem. You might want to take him to the vet.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 11:40am PST 
"He is definitely not sick, trust me."

How do you know that?

I don't know of ANY owner who could look at their dog and immediately know if they were suffering from:

Bladder infection or bladder stones
Unable to hold urine in the bladder (incontinence)
Diseased kidney
Kidney failure
Kidney tumors
Liver diseases
Disease of the adrenal glands
Cushing’s syndrome
Addison’s disease
Brain diseases
Diabetes
Abnormally formed urinary system (ectopic ureter)
Intestinal parasites
Dietary problems, reactions to food

(List from link: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/behavioral/c_dg_house_soiling#.U MY4oFL4I5E)

Once you rule those out then you can do as already previously suggested and restart house training from scratch by crating, tethering, and praising during frequent potty breaks outside.

Once you discovered he had an accident on your bed there is no reason he should have been allowed loose to then also have one on your sons bed.

If this is a medical issue delaying treatment could do damage to his body that could render him incontinent permanently or possibly even kill him.

If it's a behavioral one allowing him to perpetuate the behavior by continuing to give him unrestricted and unsupervised free roam access throughout the house you are just asking for this to develop into a long term, possibly even permanent problem.

Beyond that I'm not sure what sort of answers you're looking to get here.....

Edited by author Mon Dec 10, '12 11:43am PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 12:20pm PST 
Toto suffers from chronic urinary tract infections. EVERY SINGLE infection is diagnosed AFTER he urinates in my bed. He only does it once, but when he does I immediately get his urine checked and sure enough, he has a UTI again. I crate him for two or three days, until the antibiotic can start working and he DOES NOT urinate inside until the next infection, when he goes on the bed again.
There is no way, no how I can tell that he does or does not have a UTI by observing him... they are always diagnosed by urinalysis only. He doesn't act one bit different, except for the peeing in the bed!!!!
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 12:22pm PST 
I would recommend taking Cookie to the vet to be ABSOLUTELY sure there is no medical problem. My sister's dog, Echo, is a mature, well-behaved, completely house-broken dog...except she will pee in the house, and leave pee stains on furniture if my sister does not watch what she is doing (she does not mean to pee on the furniture, but will 'leak' when laying down). It is not because she is having an attitude or anything like that, but because she has incontinence, and cannot physically hold it for more than a couple hours. Hope you are able to figure what is going on with Cookie quickly.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 12:24pm PST 
The number one sign that a dog has a urinary tract or bladder infection is suddenly urinating indoors, often in spots like the bed. They are in pain when urinating with an active infection sometimes, especially male dogs, so that's part of the reason why they go in places like your bed or where you might sit on the couch.

They have no other way of telling you that something is wrong, they know it shouldn't hurt when they pee every time. Also, bladder and urinary tract infections make it very hard for them to hold it and holding it only makes the condition worsen. So peeing in inappropriate places may start happening more often.

Please take your pup to the vet and have possible UTI or bladder infection ruled out. It's also a pretty common condition for Cookie's breed (it is in many breeds) and it's fairly easy to treat. If your pup doesn't have an infection, and the vet rules out other possible medical causes, then you know it's a behavioral issue and you can tackle the problem from that angle. I hope Cookie's back to normal soon.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 8:08pm PST 
When Sarah peed on my bed it was due to a combination of incontinence and hypercalcemia from her recalled dog food. She was peeing in her sleep. At first I even thought it was ME!! red face haha!! I got pretty mad at her until I took her to the vet. She was diagnosed with a bladder infection, treated that, everything went away, then started back up again and she had crystals, then treated that and it got better but came back... very frustating until I figured out the dog food was the problem. I would really recommend a vet visit. If you rule out the medical issues, then it's time to confine him so he can't get to the bedrooms to pee...
[notify]
Cookie

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 9:36am PST 
Cookie has an appt to see the Vet tomorrow. I hope your all right and it is a urinary track infection. That seems like an easy fix!
[notify]