GO!

Good books for reactiveness

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Poppy

Instilling fear- is cowardice; be- brave!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 11:39pm PST 
If I could like a post, I would like yours, Risa!

Personally, I'm looking to get "Click to Calm" soon for Lobo. He has some issues with dogs on leash, too. But first I need money haha.
[notify]
Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 6:25am PST 
Smokey-How do you teach a default check in?

I've been looking for a trainer that's good with reactivity but there aren't many around here that are for positive reinforcement only and I know any kind of punishment will make it worse. The one around here that is based on positive reinforcement recommended medication before even starting a program with him which I don't think is necessary.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 6:33am PST 
Hmmm...OH, huh? Want me to ask around? I believe Doc and Delta's mom is in OH, but she does not post here anymore. And OH is a big state. But if you like, I can ask around for you. She may know someone near you.
[notify]

ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 7:43am PST 
Positdog is about an hours drive:

http://www.posidog.com/

They do work with reactivity.
[notify]
Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 7:58am PST 
Unfortunately Posidog is way out of my price range. I will have to google more and ask around. I asked at my dog club, but the only place they recommend using flooding, prong collars with harsh corrections and no positive reinforcement at all and I refuse to use those techniques with any dog.
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 11:17am PST 
Sorry you're having so much trouble finding a trainer. First I freeshape eye contact with the clicker, then add a cue. I don't recommend luring him toward your face with a treat, because he doesn't learn what you want that way- he's just staring at the treat. It would be hard to teach without a clicker because it depends on split second timing at first. But it's easy to get started with the clicker if you're not familiar, just let us know and we can point you in the right direction. Watch me Video. I would then add the words "watch me" just as his head turns toward me, until I can get eye contact on demand in different situations. On walks, when he gets to the end of the leash, I would say "watch me" once and wait for eye contact before moving forward. If it doesn't happen in a reasonable time, I walk us backwards a few steps and ask again. I used the cue for a day or two, and then he understood that looking at me made us move forward. It helps the process go faster if at first you move instantly and very quickly when he flicks his eyes toward you, as if he's said the magic word. You can also just freeshape on walks if you're not in a hurry. When you feel tension on the leash, plant your feet, and as soon as he looks at you, smile, praise, and walk quickly forward. The tricky thing with reactive dogs is that you have to do a visual sweep for triggers while you do this. You want it to be a fun game, and don't want to add a conditioned negative association where he feels trapped with scary things.
[notify]
Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 12:29pm PST 
Thanks Smokey. I found one today that does an evaluation for free and only uses positive reinforcement and clicker training with reactive dogs so I plan on giving him a call soon. Hopefully he'll be in my price range.

Cooper is clicker trained so that should be pretty easy to train. He does know watch me already but if there is a dog in sight that pretty much controls his focus. I will start working on that automatic check in. Hopefully that will help at least take his focus away from dogs that are far away.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 9:06pm PST 
It's not primarily about reactive dogs but I found Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt helpful.
[notify]
Poppy

Instilling fear- is cowardice; be- brave!

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 9:39pm PST 
Personally, I'm a big believer in natural means. I love the ideas of massage for dogs and reiki for dogs. So, I was looking for books that are kind of like that. I found a really good book; Energy Healing for Dogs by Nicole Wilde.

I'm definitely putting it on my wishlist.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 12:29am PST 
@ Poppy.....then you have to look into "Getting in TTouch With Your Dog," by Linda Tellington-Jones. That describes the TTouch Method and would be totally up your alley way to go
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3