GO!

Barking rat terrier

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Prissy

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 11:36am PST 
I have a rat terrier dog who is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and she barks and growls at big dogs. I am afraid she is going to get hurt one day because if she sees a big dog she will bark at growl so much that it will try to get her, she will bark so much that she will throw up, I am taking her to obedience classes but it seems to be making her worse and not helping her, because she wants to pay the big dogs attention or hide up under a chair in class and not listen, the little dogs she doesnt bark at them. when she sees a big dog she bark and growl and shake and if I am holding her she will scratch my arms up trying to get down. Any suggestions on what I can do to help her.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:07pm PST 
I recommend reading the books "Scaredy Dog" and "The Cautious Canine." They may be very helpful to you.

Edited by author Wed Dec 5, '12 2:11pm PST

[notify]