GO!

Aussie won't listen when other people are near by.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Rylee

Want to play,- want to run,- want to play?

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 4:52pm PST 
I have a mini Australian Shepherd that is just over a year old, we have had her since she was 10 weeks old. We exercise her daily by walking her outside, biking with her with a Walky Buddy bike attachment, or running her on the treadmill. So she has proper exercise, and we even use toys to stimulate her mind.

We couldn't really socialize her due to her getting car sick by just driving around the block. We would socialize her on walks and outside out house, but otherwise we couldn't go far with her. As she grew she got better with car rides, and I take her to work with me at a Pet Shop. She knows many tricks (sit, stay, lay down, high five, shake, dance, be pretty, roll over, army crawl) but when someone comes in to the, she will not listen to my commands. She isn't a fan of kids, will bark, growl, and pee when she sees one. So I need her to listen to my commands to get her away from a kids, but the adult with the kid she wants to see. She knows that if someone is in the store, that she won't get yelled at or punished. By punished I mean just looking at her and saying NO sort of loud. But with customers in the store, I can't do that because they may say "oh she is fine" or "she didn't do anything wrong". In their eyes she could do no wrong, she weighs about 12 pounds and is very cute, so of course she couldn't do any wrong to them. But to not listen to me, is doing wrong in my eyes. When I tell her to “come” she will look at me and then just stay by the customer, or will just run to them and paw up on them. Then she won't come to me, sit, or even get down from standing on her back legs when I say “off”. Yet when no one is in the store she is really well behaved and listens to all my commands. I have tried the sit and stay, but if someone says “come here”, she will just run past me and ignore my commands. I ask people to ignore her, but they won't do so.

Should I be having her on a leash at all times tied to the counter so people can only see here when she is on leash? Should I yell in front of people even if she is naughty? Should I be more forceful with the people and tell them she can’t say hi until she sits? I have tried that, but they ignore my comments since she is so small they don’t care what she does. Also Rylee will just stand up on their legs to get attention and won’t get “off” when I tell her to. She will cower when I tell her a command and people ask if she was a rescue dog. But we have had her since she was a puppy and have never laid a hand on her in any way. She just acts submissive with new people or when I tell her a command that she doesn’t want to do in front of people.

Please Help!
[notify]
Cinnamon

wheres mommy?!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 8:20am PST 
Sounds like Rylee could use the help of teaching her that kids aren't that scary! Check out BAT, functional rewards.com
Also practice training her at your work place when you're off the clock(stay late or come early or during lunches). Be consistent and use positive reinforcement basics to teach her with increasing distractions(customers).
smile
[notify]
Rylee

Want to play,- want to run,- want to play?

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 4:42pm PST 
That BAT training seems interesting. I will have to work with her on that. It seems like we could be 50 feet away and she will bark at a kid. So it will take some time to get her to actually sniff or greet a kid willingly. Thanks for the advice!
[notify]