GO!

Attacked a Cat - Was He Really Trying to Kill It!?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 5:51pm PST 
I'll agree with you on the flinging part. I have seen that. Not a pleasant sight. Although, nor is the shaking.
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 8:56pm PST 
It is also important to note that some dogs very much are able to differentiate between 'their' cats and outside cats. Sophie's story and the OP's comment about how this boy lived with cats before reminds me of that. The general rule I'd use is 'when outside, all bets are off'. Especially if they dart off.

Though frankly, I would err on the safe side and add that this boy should probably not live with cats either. If somebody really dedicated really wanted a cat you might be able to figure it out, but I really almost never leave my cats untended with my dog, either. And she is very trustworthy with them. I mean... why risk it?
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 7:42am PST 
"I disagree. I have seen many dogs do a quick grab"

I agree with this Bella has gotten a juvenile rabbit it ran towards the woods, but she was fast she picked it up, but dropped it immediately I think she was surprised by the bunny moving. We told her to leave it and come and she stood for a bit and walked to us.

The bunny looked OK so I don't think Bella bitten down just picked it up. We walked off and it ran into the woods for cover.

Saya loves cats we used have two she really loved them and she has met the cat in the pet store she is like a mascot there. hehe

Though if she sees a strange new cat outside she will go after it and if the cat runs she will chase it till it gets out of the yard.

I try to look around the area when possible and if I spot a neighbor's cat I recall the dogs to me put them in the house and I chase the cat off so I can let the dogs out to enjoy the yard.

You'd think having two dogs be enough to deter cats from the yard.. Saya fur all over and so on.

Even though Bella dropped the rabbit and didn't go after it when told not to I'm sure she would have gone further and picked it back up and the stress enough can kill a rabbit..

I'd not trust him with cats he doesn't know and even be careful with ones he does know.

Maybe survey the backyard before letting Zack out so you can be sure no cats are in the yard.

Edited by author Wed Dec 5, '12 7:44am PST

[notify]

Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 9:12am PST 
I know the temptation is so strong, to want to view our dogs as these inherently gentle creatures, incapable of actually killing another animal. But that thinking is dangerous. As was mentioned, there's nothing "wrong" with a dog who has a strong prey drive. Just because he may want to kill a cat, he could still be the sweetest boy around people.
AND a dog is most definitely capable of living quite peacefully with feline members of his own household, while looking to attack those he encounters outside the home. My own dog was sweet as pie to a cat who lived with us for a couple of months. She would even roll on her back in front of the cat, seeking a peaceful truce. But when she sees one outside, especially when they run, she's all over that!
I would accept that Zack may just be too excited around strange cats, and take appropriate measures to keep him from getting to them. Don't feel bad that your dog is a dog. He's only doing what he views as completely normal.
[notify]
Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:00pm PST 
Tika's fantastic with my cat. When she was younger, she tried so hard to get the cat to play with her. Now she is completely uninterested.

However...if she sees a cat while we're out walking, she goes into full predator mode, and I have NO doubt she'd attack it if she could (despite the fact that they'd probably be close to the same size, heh).
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 3:11pm PST 
Dylan killed a kitten. it tried to curl up with him when he was sound asleep
he pinned it to the floor and bit, gnawed on it twice. never drew blood, but crushed its ribcage. the cat never had a chance. never made a sound.
and this same kitten had slept with him many times before. but dylan was not in a deep sleep when the kitty got close to him.

you dont touch him when he is in a deep sleep
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 10:22am PST 
It's the individual dog and cat sometimes too. We have cats in the house that always keep a distance from the dogs. Then there are others who will sit right beside them. It's a matter of free will with the dog. When Callie moved here he learned about not standing against counters the hard way. His nose was crisscrossed with deep claw marks for a few weeks before he learned.

But I also know he is being incredibly tolerant. There are many dogs who would totally attack a cat that went after them first. He just kind of sits back on his froggy butt looking confused. But I'm totally aware what he COULD do, but I also try to let them work it out as long as they don't get carried away.
We do keep a strong babygate up in the kitchen so the cats can easily escape downstairs. their food and litter is there too and the dogs aren't allowed down there at all. That way the cats have their happy place as well.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:30pm PST 
I have taken in abandoned kitten litters twice, and both times Farley was very gentle and loving with them. Of course I always supervised, but he showed no predatory behavior around them. Very curious and playful with them.

When he sees random cats outside, though, he goes right into predator mode. The difference is night and day. He has been attacked by a random cat outside once before, and showed no aggression towards it. I don't know what could happen the next time, though.

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '12 1:31pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2