GO!

Eldad Hagar

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 7:28am PST 
My point was its not really reasonable to try and criticize the man from a training standpoint, when that's not even close to what his goal is in these videos.

Learn and observe all you like.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 10:37am PST 
I think it can be the difference of what we call "trainer" nowadays, too. In horses, you have handlers and you have trainers. You have people who start horses (meaning train them to take a tack and a rider) and then more formalized training. I don't think behavior work is training, it is behavior work. Some people have a brain blip. Someone who is gifted at working with behavioral dogs may have a lot less ability training for dead solid OB, you know? And vice versa. I think with the broad brush we use the word "trainer" that I could consider him a trainer of sorts. Not by my definition....he's more a handler type. Hope that made sense.

Like Monty Roberts in horses. He's a handler. He's been able, with horses, to deal with some things no trainer in the world has been able to. Like starting gate phobic racehorses. For an eon, some horses had their careers end because of that issue. Truly the best trainers in the world, the best gate crews in the world, and they were at a loss. But in comes this cowboy with his odd ways and he pulls it off, upending this sort of "reality" that some horses get so phobic that retirement is their only option. You needed more of a horse handler to turn that around.

"Flooding" I feel only applies in dysfunction, not function. If someone has a rational fear, they can reason their way out of exposure. I'd really need a professional like Cain to speak more in the know on an issue such as that, 'natch. If someone has an irrational fear, they need to run through their stress cycles and seem them literally peak and go over their top....that is flooding. In the original video, there was conflict. The dog wasn't freaking out...he was parts scared and parts interested. So he didn't need to peak and didn't.
[notify]
Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 9:51pm PST 
"I'd really need a professional like Cain"

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence, but it sounds like you've pretty well got it licked as far as the ability to "analyze, synthesize, and extrapolate" which are the identifiers for problem solving and intelligence. big grin
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 10:44pm PST 
No, I meant flooding, you Weisenheimer! laugh out loud big laugh

Can a rational fear be flooded, or is that a misuse of the term? If I, in example, am not comfortable being approached by big men with their guns held in the open....can I be flooded? Vs let's say someone who goes phobic around, let's say, big men with hairy chests and gold chains? Not that I'd be too thrilled with that either laugh out loud

Isn't the point of flooding to confront an phobia, let the stress cycle to its never regions of escalation until it exhausts itself?

Edited by author Fri Dec 7, '12 10:56pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3