GO!

Eldad Hagar

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 9:55am PST 
I've seen him do a few things I normally wouldn't like - scruffing, or grabbing in certain ways, or 'flooding' as was mentioned on here. However, all his videos ARE time lapsed, and many of them, he has to return the next day and the next, and keep trying over the course of a couple of days time, or longer sometimes too. Some dogs are easy to catch, others take a long time and evade capture for quite some time. HOWEVER, he usually only really uses what he HAS to, if he HAS to - so if it's between scruffing this dog or it running out into a busy street kind of thing or evading capture and possibly dying because it takes more days.. That kind of thing. He also tries to keep himself, AND others safe from getting bit. He's been doing this a long time and a lot of time, needs to go off and save the next dog too - he's always got dogs to save. And you see how much Ralph opens up by the end of it too!

I REALLY praise his efforts. He does a wonderful thing for all of these dogs, and helps get them into rescues, cleaned up, Vet checked, everything.

Hope For Paws is run by him and his wife, and many of the calls for these stray dogs come into him, because someone else can't catch them.

He DOES try to use food first and foremost though.

His Youtube Channel has many many more videos, old and new for you guys to check out if you want to. I've got teary eyed to many of them, so keep a tissue around! laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Dec 4, '12 10:02am PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 10:22am PST 
I think trying to discuss Eldad in any sort of training or behavioral sense is silly.

He's not a trainer, doesn't even remotely claim to be, so whatever methods he uses to rescue these dogs are sort of a self-contained phenomenon.

The first time I ever saw anything about him was when that Fiona video was making the rounds... bawled like baby, and still do each time I watch it. I do for most of his videos. What a truly good human being.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:30am PST 
In the video, he is doing an excellent job of reading and reacting... Ralph's reactions are... nuanced. He's inviting interaction but fearful... but not THAT fearful. Hagar is doing an amazing job of reading/reacting.

There ARE things here that could be used in training. However, it's at the level of reading and adjusting our behavior to get the most out of our pups. Anybody read Aloff's training book? Does she go there (logical extension of her canine body language book, I would think)?
[notify]

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:54am PST 
Agreed, Mulder. smile
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 12:06pm PST 
I wasn't trying to discuss his training per se, but more to expose others to the notion that there is no black and white. People spew out specific definitions of things they don't like, would never do and would never praise.

I see this video as falling into some of their categories, yet when you see it...it isn't bad at all.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 12:53pm PST 
I agree, Sanka, *rather* emphatically.

I think sometimes with systems we lose a sense of intimacy. I know on another thread someone said scared shelter/foster dogs need lots of food work. I didn't agree with that, and my experience doesn't really either. I can use it to lure a dog to me, but in terms of acclimating the fosters I always(past my initial stage of ignoring them, for approaches are scary....something for which Eldad Hagar has not the luxury of time to afford), going for sitting, close body interactions, and then trying to initiate play. In days (or even hours), and I find a huge number of dogs make take a miracle shift. Dogs love intimacy and play to me is the most light hearted/least stressful interaction. It really accelerates things in manners I think others close themselves off to. And I consider it a crying shame.

I have at times on Dogster reflected on a Bluetick we got in last year who came to us reported as extremely fearful. We under-estimated our cargo, and I elected her....although she was rather big laugh out loud.....to be the dog who sat on my lap for the four hour trip. And she was a BIG girl! That was intentional - of the group, she needed me most. She settled so nice, and when we stopped for dinner and to recharge, as we headed back she was staring out the window for me and was thrilled to see my return. She was basically close to a cure before I even got in through the door of my home. I've noted before she was supposed to have a phobia of men, but when my husband came home within a minute she was all over him like a cheap suit. I think she just needed to know her hell was over. And sitting on my lap with long strokes and gentle words....it was what she needed. And man oh man was she a MOST enthusiastic player!

HERE is a video I found that speaks volumes, regarding the dogs initial statement and her very quick softening. She just needed a friend. Not a behavioral system, but a friend. It sounds full of sugar and crap, but I find that many times with these dogs, this is true.

Particularly of the strays he deals with. Those are often very smart and thinking dogs. That's why they are still alive. To communicate vs rehabilitate often is a quicker stride. I have nothing but awe and respect for dogs who can make it on the mean streets. They are nature's cull, the ones left standing, and usually are balanced, insightful and intelligent.

With my own dogs, quiet time, just sitting with them and interacting with them physically is a part of our lives. With the others shut away, just those quiet me-and-them moments. I think it matters to them dearly.

Those are all reasons why you will find me flipping out for approaches that are more touch or handling apprehensive. I think it can be a tremendous part of communication, respect and bond.

It's why I always say functional vs dysfunctional ought be a huge consideration. Some dogs have every valid reason to want to snarl and try to bite you. Every reason to be filled with fear. Their hell has been real. It has been their reality. Conveying to them through your closeness, touch and lighthearted play (so often an icebreaker) that it is over is sometimes all they need. I think Chase, vs what she was saying back in her kennel, is a fine example of this. Very touching. She is very lucky to have found him.

Edited by author Tue Dec 4, '12 1:08pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 2:32pm PST 
I like that video of Chase (eh, who am I kidding...I like pretty much all of Eldad's videos! laugh out loud ) it is amazing to watch these dogs go from being so fearful and shaking, to soaking up all the love they can and playing happily (within days!!!!)!cloud 9

~Twist
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 7:29pm PST 
Agreed, Mulder.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 6:45am PST 
Mulder... don't agree in the least big laugh

It's my academic/scientist side showing... but I always look at what is going on to understand it and incorporate it into my own thinking. I believe he gets nice result... but I don't believe in magic... so I analyze laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud

ETA Suppose that gives a sense of the world my poor furbaby lives in... she's constantly a test subject wink

Edited by author Wed Dec 5, '12 6:47am PST

[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 2:52am PST 
Ah, that's true, too, Charka. But I personally wouldn't flood a dog. I do think that it's got some good aspects to it, but the possible fallout in my opinion outweigh anything else.

In Eldad's case, I think he's smart enough to realize which dogs he needs to take a little more time on.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3