GO!

Animal Cops.. Dumb..?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 2:58pm PST 
Why are the workers on Animal Cops... Kinda dumb?
Was just watching.. They were 'behavior testing' a dog, with the fake hand.

The hand is touching the bowl, the dog barks. As the hand is shoved into the dog's face, he barks and does a quick nip and moves AWAY from the hand. They proceed to shove the hand in his mouth while hes getting farther from the bowl, mostly barking at it with the occasional nip. They've successfully bullied an emaciated dog away from the bowl, and then he does a full bite and shake.

"Oh this is horrible! We have to put him down!"

silenced

He gave 47536485 warnings and they kept pushing him, the hand wasn't even IN the food. They were shoving it in his face!

Its something I'm sure even I could've fixed.. I think they should have atleast waited until he had gained weight, since he was without food for a week and doesn't even trust any of them..

I've seen some other stupid actions on their part. But, blaaah.
Has anyone else seen some reasonably easy behavior problems to fix that they've euthanized over?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 3:27pm PST 
I'm sure the HS that the show focuses on goes through SO many dogs, that its sink or swim for most of them.

Why keep and rehab the potential RGer, when there's 16576785 other dogs who will let you cram your fist down their throat without reacting that need help too.

I'm not saying I agree with it. I'm just saying I get what they are doing. Its a humane society, not a rescue. They don't have as much control over where their dogs go... they are trying to release those with the least liability attached.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 3:38pm PST 
I think their concern is exactly as Mulder put it - they don't have nearly as much control as Rescues do and it's a liability, and they don't have as much time with one dog when they go through hundreds in a given day or so.. So as much as it absolutely breaks my heart and many of us Dog-Savvy Dogsters could have worked through it... your regular joe shmoe looking for a pet isn't going to be able to, let alone want to... and that's the bigger picture they have to look at..

It does break my heart though, because the dog sounds FAR less aggressive with food than my foster dog was, and it only took a couple months to work through my fosters issues.. I wish I could help them all.. frown
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 4:18pm PST 
I think I know the episode you are talking about. Should have been at the ASPCA in New York City.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 4:22pm PST 
I agree with Mulder.

But I've also seen several episodes where they do send the dog to get rehabbed. They also have stated that it is something they can work with, but when it comes to who stays and who goes, SOMETHING has to be the deciding factor, if only to help keep the workers' sanity.

I remember one episode where one of the workers seemed to have seriously fallen for a dog, only to cry her eyes out when the dog failed the resource guarding test.

It's unfortunate.frown
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 2:08pm PST 
The Animal Cops series features a number of different shelters in major cities. Exactly what you'll see depends on which shelter they're following that week.

Some of them use Susan Sternberg's approach to "temperament testing," in which the goal is to make the dog fail if there's any way to do it. And yes, it results in killing dogs who have no serious problems and would make great pets, outside the stressed setting of a "shelter" with "set the dog up to fail" approach to testing.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 3:19pm PST 
Glad to hear you speak up about Sue Sternberg's so-called "temperament testing,"Addy. She's a woman with bizarre idea of dog body language and aggressiveness.
[notify]
Maggie NAC- WV-N TN-N- CTL-3 RE

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 3:39pm PST 
Ugh, I hate that (so called) temperament test confused

I pulled a super sweet Aussie from a pretty fast turn over shelter and she was said to be a "severe biter and not likely to ever live in a home successfully" as they use the fake hand in the bowl test pretty exclusively. This dog had no issue with a real hand in her food/face, but that fake hand on a stick was pretty terrifying to her. She now lives in a home with 2 little girls and is truly a great house dog. Then there is the little Dachshund pair that supposedly passed this test, that are probably the worst biters I have ever met - what a great reliable test frown

I understand in high turn over shelters where there are too many dogs and not enough homes/spaces they are in a bit of a pickle. But the way some shelter staff use this test is not in any way what I consider reliable.

Ugh, that is not how I wanted to word the above...but it is as good as it is getting.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:04pm PST 
I hate Sue Sternberg's test too.

The dogs KNOW it isn't a real human hand! This test assumes dogs are as visually-oriented as humans, when they absolutely are not. It looks like a human hand, so WE consider it a human hand. But it isn't in the right place to be a human hand, does not move like a human hand, taste like a human hand, or smell like a human hand. Why should a DOG consider it a human hand?

It would be one thing to say that dogs who show resource guarding toward people should not be placed through shelters because of the liability, but these dogs are NOT resource guarding toward people! Much of the time, they appear to be confused and irritated that they're being poked with a stick while eating.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 6:08am PST 
Dogs may know its not a human hand, but lets be real here...

The ones who flip out and go 'nanas the second the dummy gets near their food, probably DO have some guarding issues.

Its one thing to be shoving the stick down the dog's throat and FORCING a reaction (which DOES happen, I'm not saying it doesn't), but when all you do is lay the fake arm on the bowl and the dog explodes... again, there are countless more dogs who WONT. The HS is playing a numbers game, and they are trying to send out the least liable dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3