GO!

Alpha rolling at the dog park for being dog reactive?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 11:02am PST 
Yeah, Lucille, I say it was quite a bit of the "fun police" . . .. I've seen other dogs react to too much commotion in their immediate vicinity with a leave me alone snark . .. and as long as they leave it at that, everyone seems to be o.k.

This girl didn't like the exuberance of running going on anywhere in the park--as she had to travel quite out of her way to let Gus know she was "out of order."

I don't think, even so, the dog was terribly over the top anxiety wise, and if her owner used positive reinforcement that made sense to distract and engage her, she'd probably not have too much trouble easing her discomfort.

As long as there's no outright abuse going on, and she seemed like a perfectly nice person (just not of my thinking when it comes to dog behavior)-- I'm reluctant to say anything to people . . . . . .I'm sure someone more charming and diplomatic could think of a way to politely make suggestions . . . .

Unfortunately alot of people don't get what the dog is telling them and think, if she gets told off enough or exposed enough, it will all work it self out . .She probably even thinks she's doing the responsible thing by trying to "take control" of her dog. . but I think she sees the behavior as "bossiness" that needs to be taken down a peg and not discomfort.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 11:14am PST 
I've seen that many times at my dog park. frown
The worst I saw was this past summer. I had Sarah at the park and a family came with their pit bull puppy (probably around 4-5 months). He just wanted to play so bad, but he kept picking Sarah to play. She told him off, and he kept coming back. Finally his owners yelled at him, grabbed him, rolled him "belly up" and started hitting him with the leash!!! Usually I don't say anything when I see people mishandling their dogs, mostly because it doesn't do any good. The way they were treating this dog though, I had to say something. All I could manage though was "Please stop!" Broke my heart because in a breed already prone to dog aggression, they were most certainly making things worse.
[notify]
Brandi *Mrs.- Goosie*

I like Butt- scritches...just- not from u

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 6:04pm PST 
@Agusta I am normally reluctant to say anything to people except when it comes to dogs as I am 18 now no one has the right to try and pull the you are a kid what do you know stuff because the LAW SAYS I AM AN ADULT. And I will now flip on any owner I see doing that and at Sarah if I was with you I would have beat that person up with MY leash give em a taste of their own medicine. Hymph sorry I just got all violent it's just that kinda stuff makes me reeeeal mad, so made I just about loose it.
[notify]

"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 6:59pm PST 
We had a member at our dog park who did a similar thing. She had a rescue Lab that was very on edge in an amped up sort of way, not aggressive but not a typical happy Lab. His human would roll him when he did not pay attention to her, often when he did not come back to her when other dogs were around. Her explanation was that she used to have a Bouvier that was aggressive and she would alpha roll him to keep him in line.

We strongly discouraged her from doing this and recommended training to get his attention on her in a more positive way. She continued to use confrontational methods while telling us she wanted to try agility training. Given her attitude, I recommended an agility trainer who has a more similar attitude, but she never had enough of a bond with her dog to do anything in agility. We had to tell her she could not return to our park because her dog's tension level had risen to an extent that he started having altercations with other dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2