GO!

Tell me about your heart dog

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 1:53am PST 
Beautiful stories everyone. Mulder and Sabi, yours made me tear up a little. smile
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 3:41pm PST 
Loving everyone's stories! Mulder, that picture is so sweet.

I think I'm most like Moose on this subject. I adore Onyx and we've been just about inseparable since 8 weeks, but I'm not sure yet if he's "the one". I'm definitely his person though, and have been since day one. I was actually a little surprised at how fast he bonded to me.

But I did have my heart cat who passed away two years ago at the age of 4 from cancer. Truly an incredible animal and I don't think I'll ever have another like him. He stole my father's heart too. The only times I've seen my dad cry were at his father's funeral and when we took Felix to be cremated.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 3:53pm PST 
Mine was Ginger. I don't know when I knew but I think it was pretty quickly, or maybe I just didn't realize because she was my first dog (well, the first that was actually mine, my family had dogs growing up.) We had a strong bond and could communicate really well, although some of that I think just came with time, it was different even from other dogs I had for a long time.
I could talk to her in sentences, or without really saying any words (or real hand signals), and she would still usually understand what I was asking her to do.
She taught me a lot about training and she also helped me to become less shy, since she attracted so much attention. I basically met almost all the friends I have now through Ginger in some way. Also since she was basically born to be a therapy dog (once we worked through her initial fearfulness, which she 100% overcame) I had to learn to work with/talk to people to do animal assisted therapy. Maybe I would have naturally gotten less shy anyway but I think that all that helped a lot too.

I always worried that any future dogs I had, I would have trouble because I would be comparing them to her, and they would have a lot of trouble living up to Ginger's legacy.
[notify]

Alice

I am the Keeper

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 4:09pm PST 
I looked thru the bars of the cage door , our eyes met, and our souls bonded. just that fast. she fixed my tattered soul, and taught my broken heart to love again.when I had lost everything, she was there. we had both been abandoned, tossed aside, left on the street. but when we found each other, we were never alone again.its been almost 30 years sence she has been gone. and I still miss her every day. she is the wing maker, because she taught me how, and gave me the strength to fly
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 10:25am PST 
I'm not sure yet if Nick is my "heart" dog, but I can say that we do have a special relationship that I cherish deeply.

I definitely had a "heart" guinea pig though. She passed away last winter and I'm still extremely upset that she's gone.

Edited by author Sun Dec 2, '12 10:27am PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 12:56pm PST 
Sarah's my girl. She has the perfect amount of neediness that I can provide the nurturing for, but she also has the spunk of the Jack Russell that keeps me entertained. She was my third foster dog and is my only foster failure (so far!). There have been other dogs that I had a hard time giving up, but not like Sarah. I had her through heartworm treatment and recovery, and after going through all of that, I just couldn't let her go. It took me a week to work up the courage to tell my coordinator I was keeping her, and I remember standing in the shower crying thinking about giving her away. As corny as it sounds, she is my best friend. She sleeps in my bed with me, under the covers, curled up against the small of my back. It just feels right smile We have gone on some great adventures together!
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3