|Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 11:26pm PST |
|Good day guys. I think this is my first post on the forum. Title of the thread is my general concern.
My fam adopted Connor a month back. He's a year and a half year old excitable GSD. Avalon's my 4 and a half year old big guy. They seem to feel the need to rough-house 90% of their free home time with each other. The other 10%, they're resting between fights or reloading their energy with food and water. Avalon was usually the one that invites to play in the first couple weeks, and Connor's very willing to accept. In the past week, their rough-housing has become more extreme, mainly due to Connor. His temper has been rising quickly whenever they rough-house and his bites become more vicious, he stiffens up, he starts to snarl intensely. Most recently he gets to this state within 5 minutes. Too over-the-top for my liking, though Avalon still finds it all super fun.
I've been trying to split it up by yelling "HEY!" loudly and clapping. Weird way, but it's my emergency recall in any case. Avalon switches his focus on me no prob, but Connor only does 2 out of 5 times. All his body, mind, and soul is on Avalon.
I've also just tried stopping the rough-housing before Connor gets to this fury state and bring him outside to do other things and burn off some of his energy.
My overall goal, I'd like them to be able to hang out quietly more often. It's like whenever they have free-time in the house, they think it's an obligation to rough-house and fight for the rest of the day. They love each other a ton already, showing their affection when they're resting between fights. But when the resting love time is over, back to fighting for the next 2 hours.
Avalon's problem is he thinks that dogs have to fight when they meet. This is fine. But he imposes this on Connor too, even though they live together, which is the base of the problem. Avalon's mellow enough to think it's always all good fun, but Connor does not always agree. There's also no way to get the two to do any other activity with me in the house unless I separate them. Because all they want to do is rough-house together.
For exercise, I'm a hiking addict. Weekday mornings, an hour walk around the neighborhood and half an hour of free romp. Weekday afternoons, sometimes a hike, sometimes just the walk and romp. Weekends, intensive hiking in the early mornings. The dogs do very well outdoors. But once in the house it's like BAM time to rough and tumble for the rest of the day.
Edited by author Thu Nov 29, '12 12:08am PST
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|