GO!

Help! New potty issues!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

♥ Princess ♥

One-eyed Wonder- Dog

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 4:33am PST 
A little background: My 8 year old spayed Bichon has been housebroken since she was 10 weeks old and we take her outside to potty several times a day like clockwork. She has also been litter trained and has never had an accident indoors, she has used the litterbox if she has had to go while we were not home. She does have many health issues, a liver shunt being the major one and her neurological issues have been a little worse lately.

OK, so Princess is not fond of using the litterbox and has only used it once or twice a year for dire emergencies. But she has always remembered to use it and has been rewarded for doing so. Well, last year, she became very ill and had bloody diarrhea 6 times in one night.....all on the dining room floor, not the letterbox. We excused that because she was deathly ill and had to spent the next week in the hospital. Since then, she has not used the litterbox and all has been fine.

A few weeks ago, she pooped in the dining room while we slept and just last night she peed there. Both times I've scolded her and taken her to the litter box.

What should I do? I am not sure that either of these accidents were emergencies because the quantities were "below average" in size. I'm thinking she may be confused. Should I move the litterbox to the spot she has chosen to use (same each time) in the dinning room? Or do you think she has forgotten what it is for altogether since she hasn't used it in almost 2 years.

This is absolutely not like Princess. Up until now, she has never had an accident in the house.

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated!
[notify]
Kisha

Star Reporter

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 1:51pm PST 
Bumping this up for my friend who would really like some feed back
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:36pm PST 
How did you clean up the accidents? You need to use an enzyme cleaner meant for pet accidents to completely remove the scent. If the scent isn't completely removed it may encourage some dogs to keep going in the same spot. You could also use vinegar and water to clean up accidents. Please, don't scold her after the fact. Dogs don't understand being punished after the fact. If you catch her going in the house, interrupt her and take her to the potty spot so she can finish. It's also a good idea to have her checked out by the vet to make sure the accidents aren't being caused by any illnesses.

Edited by author Wed Nov 28, '12 9:41pm PST

[notify]

♥ Princess ♥

One-eyed Wonder- Dog

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 4:30am PST 
Thanks for the advice but the change in behaviour was due to health issues which are currently being addressed by her vet.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 10:22am PST 
Thoughts and prayers are with you!

hughughughug
[notify]