GO!

"Helpful" advice from strangers

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3  
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 10:26am PST 
laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud Jedi mind trick laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud

Walking two big dogs at the same time, it's hard to be a human treat dispenser without a 3rd hand, so I try to reward good behavior with praise. So, yeah, there's a lot of "Good girl" and "Good boy" going on... Gotta do what I can with what I have.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 11:13am PST 
I am being sarcastic of course when I say Gus is perfect, Lily!

But I think when people try to help with your dog "problem" it's really their own ego in play . . .

Gus lays it on thick with nearly everybody, all waggy and puppy-eyed, so since she likes "them" and makes them feel special (even though she's "friends" with everybody) they think what a nice dog cause "she really likes me . . .. "

When you have a dog that isn't all lovey-dovey with strangers, I think their egos are hurt . . .. "but, but all dogs like "ME" I've got magic dog-bonding powers" . . . .. ergo, your dog must be the problem . . . ..laugh out loud
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 12:25pm PST 
No worries, the sarcasm was detected, Augusta! smile

I do feel like people take it personally if a dog doesn't like them. Once on a walk a woman said hi to Lily and she cowered and hid behind me and the woman said something along the lines of "I scared her. I'm sorry doggie. Oh, she doesn't like me. Don't worry I won't hurt you. Oh, she doesn't like me. She doesn't like me." She sounded like she was about to cry. Hubby told the woman that Lily is shy and she repeated "She doesn't like me." It was a little weird.
[notify]

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3