GO!

How does your dog use you?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 12:24pm PST 
Yup Savvy, that's my boys. They are both always trying to out smart the other and put me in the middle of it to get what they want when the other has it. I swear their minds work like humans.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 4:49pm PST 
I have come to believe that dogs are much smarter than they let on. For example Mika and Kai were outside playing today and I wanted them to come in,Mika who likes the treats we have,came right in and sat to get her "cookie"
Kai who is less fond of them sat outside and looked at me,I asked again,"Do you want to come in and get a cookie? He cocked his head to the side like he was thinking it over,then I asked,"Would you rather have some cheese?" his ears perked up and he was in the door in seconds. I think he is perfectly aware that if he holds out,depending on how badly I want him to come inside,that I will make a better offer. We have auto ship on our dog food as well,we get packages all of the time,especially this time of year yet he and Mika both seem to know even if there are multiple packages delivered which box belongs to them,I swear they can count as well but will never be sure.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 9:51pm PST 
I am the butt scratcher, face wiper, food dispensing machine. Sabi was born with a clock for a brainlaugh out loud so there is NO chance of meals being late and it doesn't matter what I am doing I will drop it and fetch the food. I get pawed, shoved and barked at. Rarely when I actually say no, she just gives her alarm bark and gets everyone in on the game. I am also a toy/bone/treat holder, the keeper of Shadows Lamby-so no one steals it while she is busy-and the replacer or the couch cushions when shepherd games land them on the floor.
[notify]

Tyson Savage- CGC

Let's do big dog- stuff!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 8:43am PST 
BOL Huck and Ringo!! What clever pooches.

Tyson will do things that he know will bug the everliving crud out of me to frustrate me into doing what he wants. Little things like making smacking noises with his mouth but watching me as he does it, and the longer I ignore him the louder he gets! Or pacing in my line of sight. It's really frustrating that he goes for using negative attention to get attention! Even if I enforce good behavior, it's not often he practices it when he wants to go for a walk.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 12:39pm PST 
M&K, I agree with you. They are alot smarter then some give them credit for. Some will argue that you can't yell or punish a dog for doing something wrong if you don't catch them in the act because they say a dogs memory spand is only seconds long and they won't know what their in trouble for. I disagree. How is it they remember good things and forget the bad things. Huck knows. I know he did something wrong before I even find it because of the way he hangs his head in shame and doesn't greet me at the door the way he normally would. If you look on their page, there's a pic of what they did to the couch and you could see the guilt written all over Ringos face. That's what I came home to that day, a chewed up couch and 2 guilty looking dogs.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 6:37am PST 
I know exactly where you are coming from on that one,we had a very,very,rare incident where I was very sick and hubby was at work,hubby walked into the livingroom after being greeted like he hadn't been home in a month only to discover a pile of poop (diarrhea of course) on the floor. All he said was, " Who did this? " Kai simply stood there still happy to see Daddy,Mika on the other hand,disappeared from the scene in the typical,I know I'm not supposed to do that,but I really don't want to discuss it Akita fashion and came to wake me,as soon as I looked at her with her head down,eyes looking up filled with guilt,I knew she had done something she knew she shouldn't. She is and has been perfectly housebroken for a very long time,why she didn't come and ask me to let her out,or go to the basement where she knows she is allowed to go in an emergency is beyond us,unless she was trying to let us know she was sick,we have no idea,but finding the guilty party wasn't hard at all,we simply cleaned it up,used an enzyme cleaner,and gave her some pepto,punishment enough,she hates the stuff, but she had instant guilt and remorse knowing she did something she is not supposed to do. Yeah,they don't know or remember what they did wrong. Right,okay,if the pros say so.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:18pm PST 
I actually laughed at how 'witty' or 'scheming' Huck is. Poor Ringo. I used to have two female dogs, one was a younger German Shepherd while the other one was a Japanese Spitz mixed with Cocker Spaniel. Being the smaller one, my Spitz could easily go over to my Shepherd's cage and steal from her bowl. When the Shepherd would notice, she'd look around in wonder while my Spitz would be barking happily. Once she'd see me or one of my family, she'd immediately lower her head asking for a pat. After the pat comes the treat and she'd look at the Shepherd and gloat. It's funny but poor Jazz.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 9:18pm PST 
Hucky, I have to disagree with you. Your dogs know when you are angry and are showing appeasement body language. They are not hanging their heads in guilt, they are simply hoping that by hanging their heads you won’t' be angry, yell, punish them.....
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 8:43am PST 
But Fritz, if I don't see anything wrong when I walk in the house to be mad about, the only body language they are reading is " Hi my boys, moms home" but instead they are letting me know to keep walking, you'll find it sooner or later. I'm interested in knowing what others think about this
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2