GO!

Breed Differences -- How Do They Impact Temperament, Behavior, Aggression, Training?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:06pm PST 
Orrrr JT you COULD just adopt an adult one that has nicely settled in... big grin

Frankly though, JT sounds like more work than my Miyu. party I don't think you're as 'not ready' for it as you think.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:46pm PST 
Sounds like a plan to me, Miyu! Hubby wants a pup but I showed him a leerburg vid of a malinois baby going tongs for leather against his playpen today and I reckon if I keep it up with videos like that he will be running to GSD rescue, lol.

I personally wouldn't mind a puppy but I've always preferred older dogs. JT is five now and lays around like a big amorphous black and tan tub of goo at home. I reaaaallly enjoy it. laugh out loud
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:46pm PST 
I wish I had a video of it (I only have pictures) but at this pond in a park, Farley doggy-paddled behind the same duck as it swam in circles for like, an hour straight. A crowd of people gathered to watch and everyone was laughing laugh out loud There were also ducklings but Farley seems to have a sweet spot for baby animals and is more intent on chasing the adults (Same goes with cats- they're his worst enemy but my god does he love kittens) laugh out loud
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:53pm PST 
Either that duck was very simple minded and forgot it could fly ... or a sadist. big laugh
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 11:46pm PST 
I do think breed matters and impacts all of those.

I've met many shiba inu and each have different personality, temperament, but they do share some similarities.

You can't train a shiba and expect it to act like Lassie and be amazing 100% of the time!

Shiba inu are still dogs yes, but their breed traits do impact how they are.

They're very prey driven most shiba inu are to some extent.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:18am PST 
JT, boy do I have the girl for youlaugh out loud
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 9:33am PST 
Since Dog Aggression and Human Aggression are frequent topics here on Behavior & Training (often under the rubric of 'reactivity'), I found this article fascinating: Breed Differences in Canine Aggression. While it does rely on self-report, it uses the C-BARQ, which has validity.
[notify]
Jagger- **ADOPTED**

Ewok/Wookiee- Cross

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 5:56pm PST 
Reactivity is different than true aggression. The reactive dog does not want to engage and acts aggressively due to fear. An aggressive dog wants the fight. Risa is reactive but she hasn't attacked Jagger (he's only been here a month). In fact, they've been playing.

Anyway, breed differences definitely play a huge part in training. Risa is a sensitive soul partially due to her herding breed/sighthound nature. My foster boy, Jagger, is also very sensitive (he's probably a Aussie/Boxer cross). He's not nearly as soft as Risa is in that he doesn't shut down if you're visibly frustrated. Risa used to flop over and refuse to do anything if I yelled at her (I don't do this anymore because it clearly gets me nowhere). Jagger isn't quite so dramatic but you can tell he starts to take it to heart if you're a bit upset with him. It's surprising because, for the most part, he's a huge blockhead silly boy. With both dogs, I have to watch myself carefully and keep my temper. Nothing good happens if I get the dogs upset because I am! Gotta keep training fun and keep them both up. It's definitely a challenge for me but those sensitive guys are so in tune it's worth it.

I've been fortunate to not have much experience with aggressive dogs. But I would imagine dogs who were bred to be protective and/or go after difficult quarry (terriers, doxies) would be more intense and more 'into the moment' when it comes to aggression over breeds who were bred to be more laid back.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 6:32pm PST 
Well, the above is *def* part Boxer! laugh out loud big laugh That's actually the problem novices often have and why snappers come into rescue. They totally try one's patience, but are super sensitive.

I have found Boxer owners, those who get one after another and are successful, typically are easygoing, have a great sense of humor and are messy laugh out loud Seriously! Back when doing homechecks, the majority of established Boxer homes I visited had a disarray thing going on. Works for me, they're going to mess it up anyway wink
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:24pm PST 
JT, I know JUUUUUST the vid you're thinking of too!! I recently met my first pet Mal, and omg. Never ever. That boy, while beautiful, just vibrated in place the whole time he was in the same room with us. I knew in that moment, never ever. laugh out loud

I might get crucified for this, but man. So not into puppies. Huge advocate for adult rescues. Give me my 3+ year olds, who are settling in, thanks very much. I don't know that I have the patience! big laugh

(And listen to Sabi about that girl she has! big grin)
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4