GO!

Saying 'No'

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 11 of 11: Viewing entries 101 to 106)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 5:29am PST 
Oh, I have to correct myself. Donaldson's book, which I've misplaced frown says 5 out of 5 before you increase distance or duration. Here's a rundown from a blog post: The Court of Tails: Jean Donaldson - Train Your Dog Like A Pro
"You are going to do five repetitions in a row of an exercise and keep track of how many of these five your dog does correctly. Based on how he performs on those five repetitions (trials), you will do one of the following:
Push--go on to the next level of difficulty
Drop--drop back down to the previous level of difficulty
Stick--stay at the current level of difficulty and do more repetitions"

Push is done after 5/5 correct, Drop at 1-2 out of 5 correct, and Stick at 3-4 out of 5 correct.

I think this is a much clearer way and less frustrating way of explaining training.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 8:08am PST 
I was hard pressed to find any post that stuck to the original topic in these last few pages. Can we stop nit-picking about a pie-in-the-sky number & get back to the topic? Someone mentioned an arbitrary number which some picked up on & had a bit of fun with. Others have staunchly defended that mystical number. I think we all agree that every dog is different, & that the actual number is moot.
To me, "no" is just one word of many. It is not an aversive if you don't use it that way. It simply implies a negative. "feed me" "no, not time yet" "harumph..wake me when the food arrives"laugh out loud
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 10:40am PST 
NO! laugh out loud big laugh

You need to offer a reinforcer. IF we get back on track, you will tell us a funny story, perhaps? wink
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 6:03pm PST 
Squam and Tiller! big laugh

I find I usually use it on walks when Gus has caught me napping and is about to dive into it, in my Mr. Bill voice, "Noooooo, Gus, no kitty poop!"
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 5:02pm PST 
Moving on when your dog hits 4/5 correct is a good theory, but it is just as hard to apply in real life as everything else. If I am a new dog owner and I'm working on getting my dog to look at me when I say his name, you might advise me to add distance, duration, or distraction when he does it 80% of the time (or whatever) in one circumstance. You might even tell me to work on the D's separately, so that when I say his name from one step away, I start back at no distractions and only expecting a quick glance. But this still requires that I understand the level of distraction, which is not really that easy. Yes, I can toss a toy or sit food on the ground, but then there's a quantum leap when we go through the front door. Walking around the apartment complex with no particular distractions might be 40% distracting, but if Smokey sees a cat under a bush, well then it's 80% distracting. And if he sees a cat under my car, then it's 100% distracting. And that same cat under the same bush might also be 100% distracting if 5 minutes ago he saw a skateboarder and hasn't fully recovered from it, or if the air smells like pizza. I'm probably a little more than your average joe schmo in understanding dog behavior, and I am still nowhere near being able to accurately determine my dog's level of distraction all the time. So, while granted it's ideal to tailor the training so that you're not calling and having your dog ignore you, I think there is enormous value in exercises that don't require judgement and can be done in real life instead of in engineered setups.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 5:40pm PST 
Hmmm, wish I could find that book. I don't have all my dog books organized, unfortunately. frown

Well, back to "no."

Anyone have any thought on Abrantes idea of teaching a puppy "No?" I do teach it to my puppies or my new rescues. Along with "eh-eh" which comes first, before a leave it and drop it.
[notify]
  (Page 11 of 11: Viewing entries 101 to 106)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11