GO!

I'm confused...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 3:17am PST 
Yeah, I am pretty sure alpha rolling a cat would not end welllaugh out loud

I also have rabbits (2) and although alpha rolling never crossed my mind, I must confess I have lunged back and said "Hey!" to my female ( whose name is Puppywink ) when she has lunged at me. All she does is back up and look confusedlaugh out loud

What is really funny is that I have read on some rabbit sites is that the dominant rabbit is the one is being groomed. So apparently even if rabbits did have dominance issues, it would present totally differently than in dogs!

I am aware that rabbits can die of fright and that they are prey animals. "Showing them whose boss" by alpha rolling could literally kill themcry
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 7:22am PST 
Don't mean to post a lot, but Tasha HAD to mention Buster. There was one time I was trying to feed that bugger, and he was growling and lunging at me through the cage, I was so scared I was crying (this was back when I was ten). If there was ever a dominant rabbit, it was him. He was huge too. We called him the gutter rabbit, because our yard (while completely walled in) had a small gutter that lined the wall, and he loved to go down in there where it was damp and cool. My brother and I were sitting on the grass near it, when Buster came hopping down the wet gutter to us...I was excited, because he normally did not try to come up to us sooo nicely...he hopped right past my brother, looked at me, and jumped straight from the gutter to my lap...where he sat for a couple seconds, reveling in how stunned I was...and got his paws nice and dry...then he hopped off without a backward glance.confused So I think he just thought of me as a convenient way to dry off...

~Twister

ETA: Trigger, thanks for the link to the rabbit forum, it looks interesting.

Edited by author Wed Nov 21, '12 7:28am PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 8:22am PST 
Twister - LOL... I find it interesting too... His name was Buster? My current Holland is named Crush! How ironic, that such names fit so well together. Callie, my female, is a very head-strong little thing and she's so... Confused as to whether to be scared or territorial and aggressive. When I first got her, she was of course, fearful, so would charge anyone whose hand went into her cage. She slowly came to end that, but yesterday, reverted back and as I was giving her a new paper roll stuffed with goodies, she lunged out from her hide to attack me. I think she bluffed though because if she REALLY wanted to bite me, she very well had the chance to when she hit my wrist at 100mph, lol! She just doesn't like people much. Crush, on the other hand, loves people and will fall fast asleep in one's arms.
[notify]

ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 8:30am PST 
I have taught my cockatoo to lie on his back in my hand, but that is not really alpha rolling him. I would not TRY to force him. Ever been bitten by a cockatoo? IT HURTS.

Still say cats are trying to pull a Brain and "try to take over the world".
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 4:47pm PST 
Lol...pull a Brain. That made me think of Garfield. He can be Brain, and Odie can be Pinky...it kinda fits. smile

~Twist
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3