GO!

Pee EVERYWHERE!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Coco

Bark bark bark- bark = Hi! Hi!- Hi! Hi!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 8:45pm PST 
I hope this is not something that has been posted twenty times in this forum, but I feel this may be a diverse case since all of our animals are different. I recently bought a black light, and was shocked to find dozens of spots big and small of urine.. I just moved to a new place because I'm having my first baby (any day now), and fear negative health consequences of baby being around this.. I bought a spray bottle of urine-off and used the whole thing before finishing, then bought a GALLON. That's right, for two shih tzus. It's that bad.

We have never actually caught either dog in the act, which I understand is a pivotal part in this kind of training.. Possibly a night time or home alone behavior. Anyway, since going over everything with the urine-off I have reinstituted daily walks, just before bedtime to ensure empty bladders. I have the belief (if this isn't logical let me know) my unneutered male dog refuses to empty his bladder when he is taken outside in the effort to be able to mark in case another dog comes around, then overnight has to release indoors since it's been full. He is very dominant, and likes to let every other dog around know it. So, these walks give him ample opportunity to empty everything out.

So, even with these walks I am constantly finding new spots and have almost used the entire gallon of Urine-off. I had decided before buying that I could break their habit before running out, and I could give it to someone else. I appear to be no more close to the goal than before, and judging by the size of some spots we are even further from the goal than before. I am going to do some research into crate training as a possibility, but I fear that because they are adults and are accustomed to sleeping in bed with us it will be especially difficult.

So, would you believe crate training is the most viable option? (I had an appointment set to have the male neutered, but his lab work returned something having to do with excessive enzymes in kidneys or liver and was on a daily med for 30 days, and was postponed. Since then we have had a change of heart, we're afraid that because of his age his habits are already well-engrained and won't change.. Plus, we would love to keep his bloodline going because their personality is too wonderful to stop. It's just this peeing thing...)
[notify]
Tuna

"Small fish with- tons of fight"

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 9:27pm PST 
I have heard neutering can be very helpful in potty training, but like you said age is a factor. Unfortunatly I am far from an expert on this topic and am desperately trying to potty train our 1 yr old JRT mix, with a little but not great success. The tethering thing has worked well for us but I can imagine with a baby on the way this may be impossible.. Best of luck, if you find the secret, please pass it alongsmile
[notify]
Coco

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:03am PST 
Sorry to bring this old thread back up, but I had another question and felt it unnecessary to start a new one.. And by the way, the search function on this forum is pretty useless when I try researching.

The overnight marking still persists with coco, though nightly walks have been routine since my last post. The enzyme cleaner is used every time, so his markings are always in new spots.. Like our nursery furniture and the hallway wall when the nursery room is shut... I keep thinking at least he hasn't marked my baby yet. Because of the newborn I am up 3-5 times overnight and he is let outside every single time, where he relieves himself for a good amount of time. Positive praise is given enthusiastically and small treat is given, as it always has been.

I am moving toward crate training today after stepping in another marked spot this morning on the kitchen floor mat (3 am, heating up a bottle for baby, less than 1 hour after being let out to go successfully) and will be going out to buy A crate. Now.. I have two dogs, should both be crate trained the same or could just coco be trained by himself? The other dog is perfectly fine as far as this subject goes.
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:35am PST 
I would just start crate training the dog that urinates in the house. Has his medical condition cleared up yet? Have you tried restricting his water after say, 9 p.m. at night. Only do this if he is healthy per vet check.
[notify]
Coco

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:53am PST 
Initially the vet asked to have another blood test done after the 30 days of meds, but when the time came I explained I couldn't foot another $75 test and the vet seemed confident it wasn't needed. This was back in October.

I haven't tried putting up his water yet, I'll give that a try tonight and see if we have any success with that. I'll start crate training as per what several articles online have instructed, to leave the crate door open and allow him to explore it himself before beginning the actual time of him being enclosed in it.

Thanks! And the other dog thanks you as well, she's spoiled... She sleeps in our bed cuddled with my wife every single night, and I'm sure she wouldn't adjust well to having to sleep alone.
[notify]