GO!

Dangerous and capable. Severe aggression help.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 9 of 25: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  [Last 10 entry]  
Brandi *Mrs.- Goosie*

I like Butt- scritches...just- not from u

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 11:08pm PST 
cheer I feel great I can contribute to this discussion in a meaningful way now! My dog has food allergies primarily to corn wheat and dairy, we feed her Blue Buffalo and or Natural Balance both relatively expensive ish but I will go look up less expensive brands for dogs with food allergies. Sorry though Science diet isn't very good a lot of well know grocery store stuff is pretty bad even if vets rec commend it they get free stuff aka food to say that. If he has food allergies easiest thing is to get a food without corn wheat or dairy since that stuff is fillers that usually cause a large part of food allergies to occur. This basically means if he has food allergies look for something that is limited ingredient or at least says no corn wheat dairy and animal by products then you know the food as a chance at least of being a higher quality dog food. As my dog is only 30 pounds I can't exactly recommend brands since I'm not sure what the price comparison would be between our two dogs since your dog is bigger and eats more and is more active. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ pretty frakin good if you are looking to find good foods for your dog. They rate the foods and you can find a food with a good rating that fits his needs er multiple dog foods then see which one is in your price range happy dance that's the easiest way I found lol and like me you didn't get him tested I just limited the ingredients and gave Brandi better dog food and her itching decreased significantly now she just itches during times when allergins are going crazy in the air. AND SHE NO LONGER SNEEZES! Proof she is much better IN hind site they aren't expensive brands per say like Taste of Wild or anything . For ME I find it to be a good deal for our needs and we are willing to pay the price as it eans less health problems in the long run

Edited by author Wed Nov 14, '12 11:11pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 1:36am PST 
Best advice for store bought may be CALIFORNIA NATURAL GRAIN FREE, which has several options, including novel meat sources. This is really helpful as you are getting rid of the grain and the more typical meats used, towards which the dogs may have allergies. It's pricey, but good, particularly with the novel meat sources. Others may have good recommendations as well, i.e., this is not the "only."

The other thing to consider is the HOMEMADE diet. As noted, it is cost effective...if you do your shopping right, even a savings. A very handy thing with this is that you yourself can shift around ingredients if you are trying to figure out possible allergens. You basically can't do that with a commercial dog food....only move from one to the next to the next, so it might be worth some thought if you feel bold enough.

As noted, it's good to do this now, in this interim period, so that by the time you go, if you want to bring up with your vet the subject of a potential immune disorder, you can. Not trying to panic you, but you seem quite level headed and mature, so I figure talk frankly. You would probably prefer that, and I can cheerlead that the breed is equally susceptible to sensitive digestive systems and skin disorders. So one step at a time.

Thumbs up on the more frequent walks....you are a smart cookie! It makes sense that seems to be doing right by him. Walking for exercise, environmental stimulation. They have a major zest for experience, and ultimately as a working breed, just the experience of going out and teaming with you means a lot to them. I cannot tell you how stereotypical it is for their worlds to get smaller, smaller, smaller and their behavior worse, worse, worse. Hot mess indeed! laugh out loud wink I think you will find, once he's better and you are working with him, that he will blossom with more obedience work. It just really suits the breed....they are very driven to please and partner, so those one-on-one experiences really make them blossom. It's funny, but it brings to mind we had a Doberman owning Schutzhunder on Dogster, whose was also living with her law enforcement husband's German Shepherd K9s. I told her a great alternate was an AB, and she initially thought "ew, I don't like them!," but then one joined her Schutzhund group and just to see him work made her go heads over heels in love. All I said was...."told ya!" laugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Nov 15, '12 1:38am PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 3:49am PST 
A homemade diet really can do wonders for a dog with allergies, I agree. I feed my dog raw and saw a marked improvement in his health. Home cooked is another good option. There is a very knowledgeable poster called Maxwell who posts in both raw food and home cooked forum who will be able to help you balance the diet with a spreadsheet, explain what needs to go into the food, and offer other excellent advice. If you make a post in one of these forums she will help, she always does. And like Tiller says, it can work out cheaper than dog food! My raw works out cheaper than pedigree.
[notify]

Brandi *Mrs.- Goosie*

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 3:11pm PST 
While it MAY end up cheaper the only real I guess you might say "downside" is preparation time i.e. some dog owners don't feel comfortable giving their dogs really big bones because of the concern that their could be choking etc. And as I'm sure we all know some people just aren't comfortable with preparing raw food for the dog because sometimes it can feel a bit overwhelming for someone who isn't used to it. Especially since you have to find what mix works best for your dog. The other problem being if he does go nuts over food their is a slight chance he might be much more aggressive over the homemade food because it is the really good stuff after all. That being said I WISH I could feed my dog RAW as she has food allergies as I mentioned but my parents are uncomfortable with it and despite my dog being a Carolina Dog she is a dainty chewer and doesn't like big pieces of food. EXCEPT CHICKEN! Chicken is the only thing she will take large chunks of and swallow. And if you guys wonder well why don't I do it, well I am 18 after all, I'm a full time student and I live with my grandparents and my grandpa decides what we feed her though he will take my advice since I have more knowledge about good dog food etc. I AM SORRY I AM TALKING TO MUCH ABOUT MYSELF,red face I just get going sometimes and kinda forget the whole reason why I posted was because of Atlas frown BUT IF YOU DO DECIDE TO GO RAW know we will support and help you all the way hug
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 3:29pm PST 
You are not talking too much about yourself, Brandi! You are being helpful, informative and sweet!

Homecooked, with recipe, etc. is less imposing than raw, and something to think about. And I think given the resource issues, meaty bones might not be the way to go. It is a guess on my part, that Atlas is generally safe eating his food with people around...hasn't come mentioned to this stage, so I am assuming he is fine. But if that is the case, raw feeding might have some potential to shift things. Particularly in that it is something more vivid to guard....a chunky THING they need time to eat, vs a bunch of little kibble bits in a bowl.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 3:41pm PST 
Wow, totally going to agree with that here.

Even perfectly stable, non-guardy dogs will very often still guard raw, so I wouldn't really try introducing that given his current issues. Maybe later, when this gets under control.

If you need a less pricey allergy diet, Natural Balance also makes some that IMO aren't as good as the Cal Nat, but also aren't bank breakers.

ETA, wanted to mention, if you want to add some good natural enzymes in his diet without doing actual raw meat, something I've been doing is raw goat's milk. Started supplementing it about a month ago with Mulder (who keeps getting dry skin despite being on raw), and it seems to be helping him out. Was buying the Answers brand, but I found a lady who sells it fresh local for $8 a gallon. Something to consider that's also cheap and might help him out.

Edited by author Thu Nov 15, '12 3:49pm PST

[notify]
Brandi *Mrs.- Goosie*

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 9:57pm PST 
OHH I forgot to mention if you decide to get limited ingredient food or whatever you ALSO need to start checking the contents of the treats you give him, a lot of treats contains things that may make his symptoms flair up, for BRANDI I generally stay away from Pedigree, Bill jack,Greenies, Cesar the brand with the Westie, and Science Diet because for my dog those brands have things that she is allergic too, and once I found the brands she typically is allergic to(ingredient wise)I saved myself a lot of time looking a t things she could never eat. That being said treats don't really even have to be that expensive you may need to go a little bit out of your way to look at the label but overall the cost shouldn't end up being really high. Doggy Goo and Holistic Animal care offer supplements you could use to boost his immune system in response to allergens

Edited by author Thu Nov 15, '12 9:59pm PST

[notify]
Brandi *Mrs.- Goosie*

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 10:07pm PST 
As Victoria Stillwell(sp)confused once said allergies can also contribute to behavioral problems because if a dog isn't getting good nutrition sometimes it makes them feel yucky,frown not saying that is the case but it happens. And at this stage it's not about getting the most expensive awesome dog food, it is about getting Atlas's symptoms under control and doing so in a way that is affordable and mainly is a feasible option for his owners. As long as the food Atlas is given makes him better and gives him adequate nutrition I see no problem in giving him dog food that isn't super pricey IMO.
[notify]
Atlas

I'm a hot mess.

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 9:32pm PST 
Update time:

Yesterday I spoke with my mother about changing up Atlas' food. It didn't go terribly well at first, we had quite an argument. But later that night she came back and started asking me questions. She really wanted to talk to the vet about it; since she had to stop by the vet this morning to get one of our cats checked out, she brought it up, and they have a brand of food there called Annamaet. Its a grain free food, and and one of the vet techs there said its worked wonders for dogs with skin and ear problems, including one of her own she had a few years back. We got a bag, and we're going to try that, since my mother was comfortable with it; unfortunately, it was $50 for a 20 lb bag... ouch! She's now more open to listening to my advise on trying other brands.

I was hoping to convince her to let me concoct homemade food... But the idea really overwhelmed her. Since we have this one bag, we'll see how it goes, see how it is with his bowels, and if his skin and ear conditions improve. She also picked up a bag of hypoallergenic dog treats, but those are priced a bit ridiculously, will definitely be seeking alternatives. Atlas isn't going to like not having his wet food in the morning, but he'll have to deal. Its also a little unfortunate that the pellets are so tiny; it makes it harder for him to eat them, since they sort of get stuck in his jowls and then fall out while he's trying to pick them up (I gave him some of the kibble as a treat this afternoon).

It will take some time to gradually switch him to this food, I'm not sure how long it will be before we can tell if he's having improvements... But I will be sure to let everyone know.

I'm going to hop over and read as much as I can in the food and nutrition threads; anyone know if bananas are okay, offhand? They are actually his favorite treat...
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 11:08pm PST 
I don't know anything about the food you ended up buying, but $50 for 20 lbs is pretty standard for a high quality food. You could probably find something cheaper if you did some searching, but since you bought it already there is no harm in giving it a try.

I wouldn't be including any treats or extras in his diet right now, considering you're trying to find out if certain ingredients are disagreeing with his system. The reason home cooked is great for allergies is because you control exactly what is in it and you can tailor it to suit Atlas' dietary needs. But give the kibble you bought a try and leave anything else out of his diet for now. The key in an elimination diet is to stick with just the food for a while, and if you see no allergic reactions or digestive upset, to slowly start adding certain things into his diet, one item at a time, to see what causes his flare ups.

As far as I know, banana is not a known allergen, and whole raw banana will pretty much go through a dog undigested. I actually read a study that showed banana being one of the least digested foods in a feeding trial of various foods for dogs. Of course, it doens't hurt to give as a treat, Farley loves it too. However, unless you're absolutely 100% certain it doesn't contribute to allergy flare-ups/digestive upset in Atlas, I'd avoid it for now.

Good call on checking out the Food & Nutrition forum, tons of helpful info in there. way to go
[notify]
(Page 9 of 25: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  [Last 10 entry]