GO!

Dangerous and capable. Severe aggression help.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 13 of 25: Viewing entries 121 to 130)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  [Last 10 entry]  
Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 6:06pm PST 
Oh, I get it, Blue is a reformed cat killer who now lives with a free roam cat. She;s been maced by the mailman for climbing the chain link fence and scaring the bejeezuz out of him and now stays in the yard and comes to me when he walks by... . not as a result of the mace, but training with reinforcement averting a no mail delivery boycott on my street. I can now call her off of her intense fence fighting with the neighbors aggressive doberman, while the poor doberman gets the crap zapped out of him to the point of screaming from his bark collar... I get the urgency of working with a drivey dog... and know the difficulties... yup, I sure do... I suppose that means nothing though, because some how my drivey dog is different than the ones YOU mean...
[notify]
Bon Temps

Super hard robot- puma dog

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 7:02pm PST 
"I LOL at your cheerleader crew, you can defend your opinion all you want with the lemmings on your tail."

You know, this is extremely rude and unnecessarily hostile - and NOT in keeping with Dogster guidelines.
Nobody knows everything, and nobody's putting that out there as such - and no one way is effective for every dog. My hunch is that you have a far different type of experience with a very different type of dog than is being discussed here - which is no criticism, so there's no need to snark. My personal experience with these dogs comes from hunting where they are used as catch dogs. Pretty much a different ball of wax than your typical suburban pet.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 7:09pm PST 
"But DO get off your high horse about how much you know over the rest of the dogster public."

Whaaat?

Where did I say I know more than anyone, other than I am an experienced AB rescuer and rehabilitator? If the OP said that did not matter to her, no need for me. I have been here for her as she has been receptive to that platform. Egomanical me? REALLY? Okie dokie.

Did I say training would not work for your dog? No. Did I say your dog was not drive-y? No. In fact, I don't think I said anything about your dog AT ALL.

I think it's great you have worked through your dog's issues so well.

She is not a American Bulldog.

To you, this does not matter.

To others, it does and remains a pertinent issue.

Case closed. To those who think breeds, drives, character compositions make no difference, then sure....one style fits all! Great!

And to those who think breeds, drives, character compositions speak to specific uniqueness, learning trends, and fulfilling a dogs needs so that he can be whole? Great there, too!

There's no argument here. Only differences of opinions.

I don't have to be wrong for you to be right. Or vice versa.

I have been entrenched in AB rescue and offer my opinions. 'Tis all. How this somehow morphs into me doubting successes with your own dog....who is not an AB.....is to me mystifying, along with you seeming to feel I have a swelled head? Curious. I constantly defer to my mentors.

I am not trying to argue. If you want to debate training, then please, let's do!

Or, you can holler about your cured dog and your experiences, which I have no debate with, have not mentioned, do not question and don't even quite GET what you are trying to argue.

If I feel Ali Brown is not the swami perfect trainer for every dog, I think that about EVERY trainer.

To call people who have posted here lemmings? Far from in the spirit of Dogster, or to give people rights to their opinions in what is a community. For the record, I have never had so much as a pmail with Jackson Tan or Farley. They have the rights to their own opinions and are offering them. They are real, live people and your comments about them? Not cool.

Edited by author Wed Nov 21, '12 7:11pm PST

[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 7:09pm PST 
laugh out loud Cain beat me to it big laugh
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 7:14pm PST 
Wow, Stella, why so rude? I've flagged your post as it's not in the spirit of Dogster.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 7:18pm PST 
I wasn't aware this was a discussion about training methodologies thinking

To me its been about taking the dog to someone with heaps of breed experience, so that they can give a fair and honest assessment of the dog.

Because, lets face it, everyone here is on the other end of a computer screen giving advise about a dog we've never personally seen.

For all we know, Hendricks may say this dog just needs to run it off and not recommend any sort of correction collar or whatever. I think he is in a unique position to judge what this dog does need, given his experience and success with the breed.

I also think that if OP doesn't jive with what he says, then they have other options to consider. Obviously they are surrounded by a good group of knowledgeable trainers.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 7:25pm PST 
Thanks, Mulder - well said. way to go
[notify]
Bon Temps

Super hard robot- puma dog

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 7:33pm PST 
Seriously, Stella? Nonsensical tirades? Surely you can disagree with someone without being.....unpleasant?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 7:34pm PST 
I never saw anyone attacking you, yet you persist in flaunting dogster's community guidelines by personally attacking someone else.
hamster dancecheer closest i can get to a lemming cheerleader
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 7:34pm PST 
I would hate to see the OP's thread being shut down because certain people felt it necessary to barge in, all guns blazing, offering much more than an opinion (but rather, hostile & rude remarks about other posters).

The OP needs help, and has already made a tremendous effort to help her dog. Instead of this thread turning into an "US vs THEM" argument, we should be offering civil advice, which is what some posters here are trying to do. Not one method of training is going to work for ALL dogs. It is Tiller's educated and experienced opinion that Atlas may require a certain trainer. The OP can make an educated decision from the information that has been offered, and if that doesn't help, as Mulder mentioned, she does have some other options. You cannot push your ideas on to other people, but by all means, offer your educated opinions and experience, and leave it at that without all the hostility.

If the OP is even still around, best of luck to you and Atlas. meditate

ETA- Squ'mey laugh out loud

Edited by author Wed Nov 21, '12 7:40pm PST

[notify]
(Page 13 of 25: Viewing entries 121 to 130)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  [Last 10 entry]