GO!

Dangerous and capable. Severe aggression help.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 11 of 25: Viewing entries 101 to 110)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  [Last 10 entry]  
Brandi *Mrs.- Goosie*

I like Butt- scritches...just- not from u

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 7:31pm PST 
On a side note about treats some less expensive allergy friendly dog treats at least for my dog are Nutro Natural Choice Crunchy Treats,Pet BotanicsĀ® treats some are Realllly inexpensive for how much they give you and they have a recommended feeding amount listed as well (be careful though some pet botanic treats have grains in them that may irritate allergies),

ones that are a bit more expensive wellness brand dog treats, blue buffalo treats,the Zukes brand dog treats,Some innova brand stuff is grain free, Wet Noses Organic Dog Treats, my little wolf brand, ad fresh pet treats all that you can get at petsmart.
I recommend though you cross check ingredients though with his dog food, I'm not exactly sure what is in the dog food you give Atlas so I could mayyybe? be recommending some things with items on the no no list. HOPE THIS HELPS! wishes
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 2:08pm PST 
Hey Atlas! I'm just here to say congratulations on the success so far! I hope that everything continues to go well.

And yes, illnesses and allergies can certainly exacerbate problems. Even some medications can really effect behavior.
[notify]
Atlas

I'm a hot mess.

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 5:46pm PST 
Update...I am so confused.

So, Atlas occasionally comes in with scratches around his maw that seem to be caused by jumping up and trying to see over the edge of the fence, usually appearing under his chin. Recently, he seemed to be acquiring some redness on the top of his snout as well...

He came inside with blood on his face. The area on top of his nose was cut, there were these little pinpricks above his eyes, and there was a sore area that was also bleeding slightly on the side of his head. My family and I were all shocked- he hadn't been outside that long, my mother had stepped outside, and she hand't heard anything from the other side of the house where Atlas had wandered in out yard. We were debating what could have done it- sticking his head into the bushes, an animal that had wandered inside the fence, we didn't know, and it was especially odd that my mother didn't hear anything so whatever happened, it happened quietly.

Maybe 15 minutes later I was sitting with him and noticed welts forming on his legs. Then they popped up all over his chest, and his jaw began to swell, along with around his eyes. He's never had any sort of reaction like this, and it was escalating quickly. My mother called the vet, I have him 4 benadryl, and we made our way over as quickly as we could. He was so scared at the vet- tail tucked under, tense. He started giving warning growls, and we had to muzzle him to give him the steroid shot. His breathing right now is fine but the scary thing is we have no idea what caused that reaction. We're going to have to start keeping him under close observation outside.

According to the vet, she believes the blood on his face was from him itching- that he started having a reaction first, and was rubbing himself along the fence to try and itch at his face, because it really doesn't look like claw or bite marks.

I was so scared. Now I'm just bewildered.

Whatever it was, seems likely to be unrelated to the ongoing skin and ear irritation, since it was so sudden and isolated.
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 5:57pm PST 
Maybe a bee stung him (the sore spot on his head) and he scratched himself trying to remove the sting? It would explain the reaction. Have you got lots of different plants in the yard? Perhaps he is allergic to something out there and was sniffing around it, or even a weed. It sounds like a reaction to something he has come across outside.
[notify]
Atlas

I'm a hot mess.

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 7:39pm PST 
I agree I definitly think something outside triggered this, I was considering bugs myself. Its so cold out now there really aren't many bees around, and he has been stung by a bee before. It could be some other bug? We do have a variety of plants but nothing he hasn't been encountering consistently for the past 3 years. When its daylight tomorrow, I'm going to go out and look along the fence and see if there are any new weeds or signs of something he could have dug up or... well anything, I suppose. I'm so relieved his breathing passages didn't close.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 7:51pm PST 
I would tend to think bees. Have you had any hard frosts yet? Once Kali got stung on the bridge of her snout and she swelled up. I gave her benedryl and it went away. If he did get stung, then he would rub his face on anything he could find to try and relieve the pain, esp if it was wasps. They really hurt.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 3:41am PST 
Oh, my, you are only 45 min from us!!! We have had a LOT of success with dogs like yours. You should check out our site:

www.greatcompanions.info

I know Ali was a life saver for Asher. She is very good at breaking things down and changing behaviors like this.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 6:41am PST 
That's excellent Asher! I wish i was only 45 mins away! wink

Missy had a similar reaction ( minus the cuts/blood ) last Summer. Her nose was swollen and weeping and she lost her fur there too. The vet dermatologist she saw thought it was a reaction to either a wasp or a plant of some kind.

I think it's a good idea that you're trying new food. I'd be cautious in seeing ANY trainer until i had more control of his health issues.

Edited by author Wed Nov 21, '12 6:42am PST

[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 6:59am PST 
Thanks, Missy. I wish you were closer too.

And I agree w Missy. Have you HAD a vet check? CBC, SNAP, Thyroid, allergy testing? Especially thyroid, as it can affect aggression.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 12:29pm PST 
the dog sounds like he needs a real veterinary behaviorist, not a trainer or behavioral consultant or whatever else nice sounding but totally unquantified titles people give themselves nowadays...
[notify]
(Page 11 of 25: Viewing entries 101 to 110)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  [Last 10 entry]