GO!

Hoarding Goodies in Multi Dog Households

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 5:19am PST 
I just wondered other people's experiences with this...I never dreamed I would have two dogs and observing is interesting. Just like human kids Sophie is bigger and older than Callie. I've noticd her gathering rawhides and toys and piling them in my daughters room. There is a general toy box in the living room and fortunately the dogs don't fight. But just wondered how other families with more than one dog handle sharing???
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:25am PST 
Charlie does this with Ria all the time. Often throughout the day, I may gate Ria in the kitchen so that she's not gnawing on Char all day, or when I'm cleaning, or when we leave the house, etc and I leave toys in there for her. Charlie will go in there while I'm home, grab a toy, and book it over the gate before Ria can catch him. He ends up with all her toys in the living room. And, in fact, has one in particular that he won't even let her touch(it was given to him by someone he adores), and it's his favorite.

I just return her toys to her. If they're loose together, he could care less, as long as she's not trying to steal one directly from him. Then it comes down to his mood and what toy he has, on whether or not he lets her take it. I let them work it out and just keep my eye on things. My dogs don't fight over toys, or at least Charlie never has, and he's never done so with Ria, so I leave them be. There's plenty around the house to go around. smile
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:59am PST 
When it comes to toys here Mika rarely touches them but we always buy two exactly the same so one does not feel slighted in any way. When it comes to food/treats we also keep separate dishes and free feed,something we were told could not be done with Akitas. Mika and Kai must have missed that memo.laugh out loud Kai being younger will allow Mika to pick which dish she wants to eat from and will either wait until she is done,or eat from the other. Treats like RMB's and rawhides are usually given under supervision and when one walks away from theirs the other will go to see if there is anything appealing to them left,in effect trading them. Neither seems to care to hide goodies from the other for later but we don't have issues,they have found their own way to work it out.
[notify]

Leah

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 8:58am PST 
I have an older dog that will go around the house and collect all the toys when the other is outside. He brings them all in the living room. He has smaller toys then my Akita pup, so when she comes in I get her toys and put them out for her. I think it is funny...
[notify]