GO!

Quick Heel Question

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Zephyr

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 10:21am PST 
Finicky competiton OB is my favorite. I love the precision and the expectations and the different methods for training are fascinating.

And yes, it's very easy to make heelwork boring especially when spacing out your rewards. I have to train steps at a time between play sessions.
[notify]
D'artagnan

I'm not lazy,- I'm just waiting- to play..

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 10:42am PST 
Well, honestly, my requirements aren't that high. He has a hunters heel, not an obedience heel. I do love watching the dog and handler do really great heeling though. It really is just amazing to watch. I just want Dar not to get run over by a bike if we are off leash hiking( and maybe, just possibly, be able to rollerblade off leash with me at a rail trail we go to). I was originally trying to train for him to be right next to me but he had a natural tedency to be a little behind, so I went with what was natural for him.

I do think I will work on heel position a little more as well as obedience turns and spins. I do think that will help keep him engaged more in what we are doing. Right now I practice mostly around my apartment complex. We heel to a different yard and I release him to go sniff. And then off to the next building. I was actually a little surprised last night because we were training in the appartment and I did a sharp turn and he moved his butt over...and when I did a tight circle into him he moved his butt around way more than his front paws... rear end awareness here we come!

And text I wouldn't say it is stress at all, he just likes to sniff. Yesterday morning we were walking back to our door and he just turned on a dime and started trotting back and to the right and then went sniffing. It's just what he does shrug I have a 'no going backwards' rule on walks because he likes to just turn and run back to sniff something.... Focus here we come!big grin
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2