GO!

Hes scared of everything!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Banjo

Little rascal

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 2:45pm PST 
Banjo has always been a fearful dog but it wasnt so bad because he always had his friend Shandi which I think gave him alot more confidence. Sadly in August we lost Shandi very suddenly when she was hit by a car and passed away. Banjo has never been on his own and it has taken a toll on him.

He's past the grieving stage now and back to his normal self. But he has changed alot. He gets crazy excited when we get home now after being out. He's alot more clingy and pretty much all over you. I understand why he's like this now and it doesnt bother me. But the one thing thats changed is his fear level. He's terrified of everything! I mean everything. A water bottle, a plate, most noises, his food bowl. The other day we tried to give him left over spaghetti and he was terrified of it. He'd grab some out of his bowl and run away then eat it. Given this was right after we had a snake in our yard but still. He was scared of food.

Since he's been on his own he's just become scared of everything and Im not really sure what to do. I know him having a friend would help but he's dog aggressive which makes it difficult.I know he could get along with another dog but it'd have to be a dog with a specific personality. Any tips of how to help him work through his fear issues? He's not scared of one specific thing he's scared of pretty much everything.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 5:20pm PST 
I would try finding him a friend that you can make play dates with. Also, if he's dog aggressive, is he cat aggressive? Dogs and cats can be friends. Maybe that will help. Have you had his eyes checked? Sometimes if they have vision problems they can behave the way you describe.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 3:44am PST 
Have you taken a look at www.fearfuldogs.com?

Debbie Jacobs is a former Dogster and is a bit of an expert on fear related issues.

Also, for dog/dog aggression, try Scaredy Dog by Ali Brown:

www.reactivedogs.com
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 2:03pm PST 
Poor boy hug

Sounds like he gained all his confidence from Shandi and is now struggling. I'd definitely take a look at the links Asher provided and i'd also say not to totally count another dog/puppy out. You probably know that Missy is DA herself but she accepted Tyler as a puppy with no issues and also my sister's dog. However you have to know what the right match would be. A young puppy/ Older dog? I'd always recommend the opposite sex to your current dog, especially with a DA dog and if you do want to go the rescue route again you may find yourself waiting a while for that perfect match. I'd do more than one or two initial introductions at the rescue itself. It is possible, but ultimately you know Banjo best.
[notify]