GO!

How do you train your dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 9:22am PST 
"he only other way I train sometimes is with a "Show than reward" method (Not sure if it has a real name or is even a realy thing) That I've found works well for her. I do this for things like "Target" I place my hand against her nose and then reward her for that. After a very short time she caught on that what I wanted was for her nose to touch my hand. Then all I had to do was keep me hand still and stay the command and she knew to touch her nose to my hand."

Do you mean that your hand is a target? Because Alva thinks my hand is one. She also knows the target stick and target pad and touches a piece of tape if needed. The tape, pad and stick were taught with shaping (show interest towards the target => click & treat, touch it -> c&t, touch it but don't bite/chew it -> c&t, touch it even it moves -> c&t). That do not bite part had to be added because I started retrieve training in a similar way and even without retrieve training our dogs tend to try if grabbing the target would be my desire. Hands they learn almost automatically because I lure (or I guess it's called luring). I hold a treatin my hand and the dog follows it. Later I start rewarding by other hand but the lure hand stays as aid until I fade it. The dog then usually generalizes it and the empty hand works like a target.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 11:42am PST 
I'm coming from a similar place as Tiller and sit in the middle with my methodology. I train with +R, primarily markers but I will proof with corrections. I need a dog that I Know will drop when I say down, or with a solid recall. The trainer that I trained with growing up though handled protection dogs mostly German shepherds and similar breeds, but he also handled a number of Giant's and Airedales who were perfectly fine taking a chunk out of their handler if you miss stepped.

I'll admit I was a bit slow to catch on with +R training because it seemed to come packaged with no corrections and ignoring bad behavior, and working protection dogs and stock dogs there are situations that require corrections. I've been heavily influenced by Michael Elis in the past 10 years or so and think that would be my go to person for 'who' I respect as a trainer.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 12:30pm PST 
"he also handled a number of Giant's and Airedales who were perfectly fine taking a chunk out of their handler if you miss stepped."

That's true, and a humor to me when some might think a Giant is too harshly handled. They do not suffer fools gladly. There's that terrier gene, the "sense of fair play." Very quick to bite if you tick them off, with a pretty low bite discernment. Doesn't much matter if it is the hand that feeds them. A lot of Giants who surface in rescue for aggression are handler aggressive. You don't want to rub them the wrong way. Converse to GSDs, where truer handler aggression is uncommon.

I like Ellis a great deal. Balabanov also is very inspired, and I think he most has been able to move those with more of a strict traditionalist mindset into the world of rewards and why they work.

Regarding that, talking about the hardnuts and who they follow. They want results and do something that works, so they are more resistant to change generally. They will just snark at the "my dogs are very happy!" or "my sweet girl was so fearful but now her thresholds are so much improved!"....that is not to them a resume. Like at ALL laugh out loud Balabanov, quite different to that, snapped heads on an international/world stage with spectacular working dog performances no one could match and simultaneously was respected turning out extremely street worthy PPDs. So HIM, who you could not beat on or in the field to save your life.....you shut up and listened. Because here it wasn't simply a "different" way, but a BETTER way, not in an emotional translation, but hard, cold results on the field.

For some traditionalists, that's really what they need to see to begin to think there might actually be something to this rewards based stuff wink
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 12:52pm PST 
I literally never get sick of watching Balabanov's dogs... I think I've watched that Rock OB video about a trillion times and it never stops being fabulous.

cloud 9
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 2:03pm PST 
cloud 9

THIS

yields

THIS
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:15pm PST 
The Jersey Shore Method of Dog Training

SOOOOOHP!-Come
GEDOVAHEAH-Come here now!
GEDOVAHEAHSWEATOGAWD-I will pick you up if you do not come immediately
THATSITSTUNAHDTHATISIT-Now I have to carry you the next two blocks. You will absolutely get no snausages tonight

Before anyone whose dog knows four hundred commands flames me, I am joking...I know absolutely nothing about "proper" trainingsnoopy
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:18pm PST 
Fugeddaboutit laugh out loud
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:30pm PST 
Rock, Balabanov.

Siiiiiiiigh.

cloud 9
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:46pm PST 
I use what works. Of the current gang, I call Bud my 2x4 dog(I wouldn't really hit him but its tempting)laugh out loudClickers no, choices bad, he WANTS a leader and a strong one. He LIKES to be given a command not a polite request. It took just a few days to teach heel but I had to put him there.
Morrigan is polar opposite. She is soft and easy. The clicker is a great choice for her. She wiggles like mad when she gets a click, grins like an idiot when I treat. She mastered loose leash in a couple days and is quickly becoming a pro at heel. I used the be a tree on a flat collar for loose leash and baited her into heel. We are using a long line for her recall.
Sabi well, she taught me. Ask don't demand. She will not 'perform'. I thought food was key with her but no. After a couple treats I get a raised eyebrow and the doggie equivalant of 'the finger', she flips her head at me and walks away. Choke chain, watch her passively resist. Talk to her, treat her with respect. She likes conversation.
And my Shadow, we are working on it. For each new thing we must first find the key. She has tapped about every methodology I can find, and I think she has invented a few new oneslaugh out loudAversion? Getting stung by wasps taught her her recallshrug
Like I said, what ever works.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 12:46pm PST 
"but he also handled a number of Giant's and Airedales who were perfectly fine taking a chunk out of their handler if you miss stepped."

I know Dales and that is very true. First thing that popped in my mind after seeing that weird fireworks proof stay vid the other day...If there had been a Dale in that group it would have been even more ugly.

I've never once seen a Dale give a correction wink that hasn't been well deserved, though. Plus it's so easy for me to sort of jolly them along why would I be confrontational? I correct, sure, but I know how to do it subtly and safely if I know the dog I'm handling.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4