GO!

How do you train your dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 10:19am PST 
I am just curious as to how different people train their dogs. Like for example, how do you teach heel? How long is it until the dog is solid?

What "famous" trainers do you base most of your training off of? What tools do you use?

I am honestly curious as to the different methods that work for different dogs.
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 10:41am PST 
I train using the clicker training ideals. Basically, positive reinforcement, negative punishment, extinction, and no use of physical/verbal corrections, pain, or intimidation.

Teaching heel and stuff is different per dog. I haven't taught Lobo how to heel, but I did teach loose leash walking. I would "be a tree" if he pulled, and used a lot of environmental rewards and Premack stuff for walking with a slack leash. I also used a lot of click+treat initially.

How long until it's solid? It depends on the dog and how consistent I am. I know with Lobo, I'm quite slacking at times, so it takes longer. It only took a couple of repetitions to teach him to sit when I stop. "Wait" only took a couple sessions before I was confident to say that it was solid.

I base my methods on Karen Pryor. I also learn a ton from Emily Larlham. I don't know if Ali Brown is "famous" but I have also learned from her as well as Kim Pike. I really try to take a lot from most trainers I see or read from.

The tools I use are: Clicker. Treats. Harness. Dog. Myself.

The clicker and treats are obvious. I like using a harness for safety, as well as the fact that dogs have highly sensitive necks and I'd rather not risk anything happening to Lobo. The dog and myself are also obvious. laugh out loud
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 11:03am PST 
Nice smile Thor HATES the clicker for some reason LOL. He just won't work with it. I have had to be creative training him.

For Thor treats = Take it, spit it out carefully, start rolling on it joyfully, then and only then maaaayybbee eat it laugh out loud

I do use random treats when he is working, or when we are working on something he is unsure of. The majority of his training is placement/praise. I do use corrections just because he IS a higher level of working dog and he needs to be solid as a rock on his commands.

He learned heel in a few days. I use the turn and go method, if he pulled ahead one way, I turn and go the other way. When he was in the right position he got loved up and play time.
[notify]

Lobo

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 11:20am PST 
Haha, yeah. (: I want to get an Akita Inu puppy and bring her in Obedience. I won't use physical/verbal corrections for her, either. (:

Lobo's cues are all solid enough that I don't worry about him in day to day life. I don't know if he'd win any ribbons in Obedience, but I do know that he only has a couple more things to work on before I feel like he could get his CGC. And those are dogs, and his "Stay with a friendly stranger while owner leaves the room." Separation anxiety sucks, lol.
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 11:26am PST 
Haha yeah. I am so glad Thor doesn't have separation anxiety! The CGC is great. I really want to get into competitive obedience.

I guess I should clarify on my sort of "corrections". I just use a martingale and pretty much jangle to chain part. Thor doesn't need anything past that. I also use a verbal "uh oh." If he is naughty.

I find it cool how different training methods work for different dogs.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 1:04pm PST 
I teach my dogs using positive reinforcement. For example, with Charlie, I lure him into the position I want, then reward for that position and repeat until I can add a cue and make it more solid. So for a heel, I would lure to my side, and keep my treat and hand in front of his nose til I got the position I got, and move forward with him in that position, then CLICKtreat! He loves it.

I use a clicker, flat collar(and Halti with Charlie sometimes), long line(forty feet and NEVER EVER used at the same time as the Halti), and treats. With Ria, I can use toys too as she's extremely ball driven. For 'discipline', I have "Eh eh!" and "No." and "Leave it.", as well as "Nose."(if a dogs nose is where it shouldn't be - it means to pull that nose away and leave it). If Charlie starts to get too ahead on his leash, I can give a light stomping of my foot on the pavement and he'll stop and wait or he'll slow down til I'm beside him again. I always follow through too. If they don't stop when asked, I remove them from whatever they're doing by taking their collar and guiding them into another room. They also know "Out" to leave the current room they're in if they're begging, or harassing anyone/thing.

Charlie knows around forty commands now and he does pretty good for the most part. smile

I've learned a lot from Karen Pryor, Dr. Sophia Yin, Victoria Stillwell, and Ali Brown. Oh... Annddd Pat Miller.

I've also learned a lot from various dogsters here, such as Asher and Sonny(thanks guys!), from when I had my aggressive foster, Beau.

Edited by author Sun Nov 4, '12 1:05pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 7:58pm PST 
I use positive reinforcement (luring with food, toys), negative punishment and positive punishment. I haven't really based my training style on anyone, Vic Stilwell maybe. The corrections I use are verbal (no, stop, bad dog) and time outs but I haven't had to use one in a long time, JT knows what is expected of him now and rarely misbehaves. I really only used to correct him in the beginning when he was learning to live in the house, as he was very difficult and didn't understand no peeing, jumping, running, constant hassling ... some days he'd get 10 or more time outs. These days are long gone thank goodness.

Heeling? What's that? laugh out loud I use a long lead and just let him go, lol.
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 9:14pm PST 
JT, I feel for you. Lobo was an absolute terror. x.x I used to get so angry, I would just lock myself away and want absolutely nothing to do with him. Which was hard, because he chose me, even though I initially didn't want him.

Fate works in mysterious ways. laugh out loud Lobo is now my heartdog, and I can't imagine my life without him.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 9:37pm PST 
Lol Lobo, dogs can be horrible things.

JT lived outside for three months because he refused to come in the house, and life was sooo easy. laugh out loud He just lived on the patio. Then I decided to house train him and I think it really blew his mind. It sure blew mine. He opened my drawers and ate my underwear. He ate my rug, tissues out of the box, ran away with my childhood teddybear. He marked. HE PRESSED THE DISC DRIVE BUTTON ON THE PC, PLUCKED OUT A DISC WITH ALL MY HUSBAND'S INFO FOR A COURT CASE, AND CHEWED IT!!! That was impressive as it was frightening. Swell dog. laugh out loud

Time outs really seemed to work, though. Straight out the back door, 10 mins, back again. He's never been crated and has free run of the house/yard unsupervised most of the day. He's exactly the dog I wanted now, so it was worth the trouble, even if it did cost us $25, 000 in unpaid wages, I suppose (he should have had 2 copies of that disc, lol.) He's a very valuable animal, eh?
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 6:43am PST 
Hmmm... well, I clicker train (food or tug treats) and use a 'no cigar' word. I'd look at it as Karen Pryor with an Ivan Balabanov twist laugh out loud It gets more complex because it is clear from our agility training that Charks really REALLY pays attention to non-verbals... so sprinkle in some Brenda Aloff meaning I try to read my dog and, in turn, give clear signals.

My goal with Charks is an enthusiastic/fast response... The ground shakes when she does a recall wink Those auto-stops at curbs are beautiful. Heal? We're still working on the complex things. The one I'm working on right now is my standing in place and doing a counter-clockwise rotation. ALMOST got it... on-leash. Off-leash next.

JT... have had some 'amusing' events when the pup learns something unintended. Charka's specialty is latches of various sorts. My 'superstition' is that I try not to let Charka see how I do something that I don't want her to try out. Thank dog she doesn't have thumbs! thinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4